Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Welding structural nuts (or bolts)
- - By ziggy (**) Date 07-26-2008 02:28
Referencing the D1.1...

Has anyone qualified a WPS for welding structural nuts to the bolts or more commonly to the anchor bolts (rods) on columns?

This has happened when say the anchor bolt is short and you cannot get full thread engagement on the nut...sometimes the ironworker is directed to plug weld the nut to the short anchor bolt...

Or what about tacking nuts to the inside of tube so that you can make a blind connection in the field?

Or what about welding nuts onto the columns to accept the safety cable (where the leading edge is 15 ft or more)? I have even seen washers welded onto columns for the safety cable...

I have never seen a qualified WPS...it would have to be qualified since A563 (the spec for a heavy-hex nut) does not appear in Table 3.1...

Anyone?

ziggy
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-28-2008 15:08
ziggy,

If you contact the nut/bolt mfg and ask them about this, they recommend trying to avoid welding their product to anything altogether(ask me how I know this). The AISC also recommends against welding of HS fasteners. We have had a few blind connections but we didn't use a HS fastener for the final connection, the A307 bolts(A36) were just for erection purposes only and the joint was then field welded as designed.

I too would love to have the oportunity to see/review a qualified procedure for welding HS bolts/nuts to structural steel.

Unlisted base materials(not listed in Tables 3.1 and 4.9) shall be approved by the EOR(see 4.7.3).
Parent - - By ziggy (**) Date 07-28-2008 17:22
OK...how do you know this John?

ziggy
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-28-2008 18:03
..Ummmm, cuz I called them and asked them???....LOL
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-28-2008 18:09
ziggy...here is some dialogue on the forum about welding HS fasteners....

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=12049
Parent - By pielaet Date 09-16-2008 01:44
Hey guys! Sorry this is a little late.
D1 INTERPRETATIONS - By Subject
Look for
Welding of Nuts

It just states that "AWS D1.1 does not cover the application of welding a nut to a structural member."

So on a structural steel project it won't happen. The engineer of record does have the final say.
Parent - - By ajaxboltco Date 04-01-2016 10:22
hi guys. regarding the differences between bolt and nut connection and welding joints you can check this website:
http://www.ajaxboltco.com/article/Welded-Joints-VS-Bolted-Joints/47/2
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-01-2016 12:28 Edited 04-01-2016 12:30
"Germany as the Mother of Industry"  !?!?!?!?

I spit coffee all over my desk.

But, Welcome to the forum Ajax !
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-01-2016 19:51
Interesting examination of bolted versus welded connections. I found it interesting that the writer failed to recognize the weld neck flanges are welded to the run pipe long before anyone begins the process of assembly and bolting the connections.

ASME actually has a seminar on bolted flanged. The course was developed in response to the number of failed bolted pipe joints. The reason for the failures are many and include: wrong bolting materials, improper tightening sequence, insufficient tightening, over tightening, wrong gaskets, scored gasket surfaces, and the list continues.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Welding structural nuts (or bolts)