Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Bad rod, good welder.....
- - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-27-2008 21:51
Yeah, I pulled a boner.

Went to re-test for 3g/4g - aws d1.1 and 5 with crap rod. I had plenty of good rod.............in my other rig!!

I ended up passing xray, and the bend, but my gawd did I fight that test!!  Porosity, sticking, and small inclusions. There was one spot that I was certain wouldn't pass, but it did.

Don't EVER forget your new rod when testing!!
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 07-30-2008 19:10
who are the bad rods for? Should'nt the rods be good for all welding.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 07-30-2008 19:23
FC2002 doesn't require it, so why would anyone else.:-)
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 07-30-2008 19:48
well reading Sourdough's post the mere fact of weldabilty would make me question the practice of keeping bad rods. Time lost in using bad rods would also affect pfofitabilty. Quality is another.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-31-2008 04:52
     My guess is that there was nothing wrong with those rods when they were fresh, but they lay in the truck at the end of a job and after a while You don't know anymore just how old and exposed they are. When You pay for them out of Your own pocket it is hard to throw them away when You know they are still fine for non code/non critical work [for a while, anyway]. He did pass the test with them.
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 07-31-2008 05:06
yeah I know what you mean fresh rods are always nice to have for a test after siting out a while moisture clings to the rods especially down here in Louisiana but at the same time you don't want to pitch those rods either but who the hell cares you pass the test thats all that matters. Congrats dude.

Chris
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Bad rod, good welder.....