Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Use of CWIs vs non CWIs
- - By DKUMPUNEN (*) Date 07-29-2008 00:59
Who decides whether a CWI will be used on a shut down vs a non CWI?If non CWIs are going to be used
a lot why bother to be a CWI?

DONK
Parent - - By JRRoden Date 07-29-2008 03:18
It is up to the client most times. But most sites want at least one CWI on-site then he can have up to 20 non-CWI's work under him. So they usually hire one CWI then hire 3 or 4  non-CWI to be field Inspectors. Are that is how it is on most jobs I have worked.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-29-2008 16:36
Unless the code stipulates a CWI is required, it's the owner's call to insist on the use of a CWI or non-AWS certified individuals. ASNT and API both have certification programs that certify visual inspectors. In some people's minds they may be just as qualified for the work involved as the CWI.

Best regards - Al (Senior CWI)
Parent - - By DKUMPUNEN (*) Date 07-29-2008 22:34
  OK guys i get the picture on the reality of the situation. Thanks for your info.It seems like i am seeing
that if there is API 510 work on pressure vessels than the client is more inclined to insist that the
inspector be API 510 certified.CWI being a different situation.I  inquired about FORT MCMURRAY jobs from
ACCUREN and they told me USA CWIs have a lot of hurdles to go through getting up there. However API
510s can get up there without much trouble as they are in demand.

DONK
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 07-30-2008 19:16
The CWI would be an asset if you have the API certs. API 1104 only requires the inspector have experience and training for the specific task they are to perform. If you are doing visual inspection on welds on a pipeline, there is nothing that says you have to be a CWI. However the card is usually accepted as proof of training and experience.
B31.3 in petrochemical plants throws the qualifications of the inspector on to the contractor. The contractors quality plan is what will determine the certification level of the inspector and if you are working for the client the API certifications 570 for piping and 510 for pressure vessels are the primary required certification. Again, the CWI is supplemental to the API certs and API is getting into the mix with the 577 supplemental certification. This allows the the AI 510, 570 or 653 to oversee the contractors CWI's or the clients third party people.
BABRT's
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Use of CWIs vs non CWIs