Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / Gadolinium anyone???
- - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-29-2008 08:39
Anyone ever heard of this metal??? ;) ;) ;) A very interesting breakthrough - Don't you think??? ;) ;) ;)
More Nukes are sure to follow for sure!!! :) :) :) Enjoy the read!!! :) :) :)

http://www3.lehigh.edu/News/RCEASnews_story.asp?iNewsID=1158&strBack=%2Fnews%2FRCEASnews%5Farchive%2Easp%3FiStoryType%3D21

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Plasma-Brain (**) Date 07-29-2008 17:21
I've heard of it, never thought I'd hear about it and welding in the same sentence, sounds fun.
Good find Henry
Parent - - By and4rik (**) Date 08-12-2008 18:19
I never understood the controversy surrounding the storage of spent nuclear fuel anyways.  From what I've hear the amount of leftover nuclear fuel the average person would use in a lifetime is about the size of a hockey puck.  Fossil fuels are a different story though altogether.  I don't know the exact figures but fosil fuels weigh in the tonnage range..  My point being, why do we even want to store this spent nuclear waste on earth, why not ship it to the biggest dump in the universe,, outerspace or even the sun. i' mean if you really think you might be able to recycle the crap put it in an orbit around one of the moons of saturn. There problem solved.  Instead of wasting all this money to find out there is water on mars or the moon or whatever which we knew already via spectral analysis  why not concentrate our efforts here on the homefront.  Hope I'm not getting off topic here.
Parent - By Plasma-Brain (**) Date 08-12-2008 21:53
Into the sun would be a good idea... if you can provide a failsafe delivery system.
I could see launching it at other planets coming back to bite us in the rump.
Given how touchy people are about the subject anyways, imagine if you will the poop storm that would be caused by a spent fuel rocket blowing up high in the atmosphere on its way to the sun or parts unknown.

Space travel needs to advance a lot before that option would become viable.

just my 2 cents...
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 08-12-2008 22:57
With crude oil prices at 140 bucks a barrel, hydroelectricity sources almost exhausted (except in Brazil, whose hydro sources are still large but environmentalists have undertaken a fierce struggle against hydro power), wind, solar and tyde power in their beginnings, I see no other way than nuclear energy, unless we wish to get back to the stone age, live in caves and eat raw meat and fishes.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil 
Parent - - By and4rik (**) Date 08-13-2008 07:22
yes nukes:)
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 08-14-2008 02:30
John McCain agrees :)

And so do I.
Parent - By and4rik (**) Date 08-14-2008 05:01
chalk up another one for the team
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / Gadolinium anyone???