Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Another pipe welding question
- - By elliott (**) Date 07-30-2008 22:49 Edited 07-31-2008 00:07
Hows it going everybody I got a couple of questions for you guys again on pipe.It is in the 6g position smaw. I am running 1/8" 6010 root in second gear 80-120 and about 50-55 on the fine current the machine is an sa 200 seems to run ok sum times and other times it seems to put its self out at about the same arc length,also when you are tying in to a tack do you usually run over the tack and keep going or do you stop and start again at the other side of the tack. When start at the other end of the tack I usually have a key hole there from ending the tack but when I go to start the root I pause for a second to fill it in, but on the inside of the pipe you can see that it filled in but not all the way. What is the proper way to do this without burning through,and 1 more question tonight for all of you when starting at the botom of the pipe do you guys use a whip or stringer movement from 6:30 to vertical. I have read that you should not use a whip fro 6:30 to vertical but after that you should use the whip till 12o'clock.This is going up hill. I forgot to ask if you guys grind your root or do you run a hot pass( if so do you use 6010 or 7018 for hot pass.I have been doing root pass than grinding flat that 2 pass with 3/32 7018 one fill and one cap
sorry for rambling,

Thanks for any help, Elliott
Parent - - By whip (*) Date 08-06-2008 04:20 Edited 08-06-2008 04:29
Feather your tacks with a grinder at the head and tail,when you are coming up on the tack just watch and learn to read the weld pool and just do it. The same when coming of the tack.Quit trying to weld like someone else get a good constant weld pool going and bring it on up.In a short time it will come to you and you will be fine. Just remember other hands it do and so can you. When you run a hotpass IF YOU CAN READ a weld pool you will not know if you should grind your stringer YOU WILL KNOW if you should have ground that stringer. Think about the purpose of a hotpass.
Parent - By elliott (**) Date 09-17-2008 23:45
How's it going everyone . I got another question for all of you.Ihave been practcing welding pipe on 4inch and I have rcently gotten some 10inch to play with. I find that 0n the ten inch when running 1/8 7018 it runs alot better in 3rd gear and at about 50-60 on fine current.I am using a 69 sa 200. Does that seem high to you guys to be running 1/8 7018 at.It is sch 40 pipe and before I was using 3/32 doing 2 pass, with 1/8 7018 I have tried doin that with and it seems to get lumpyI guess what I am asking is how do you guys do it do you do it in root pass than second pass is a capp or do you put a fill pass in there 2.
               thanks again and thanks for answering these question that I fell I keep asking over and over,
                            Elliott
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Another pipe welding question