Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Pipe welding standards
- - By welshmel Date 08-27-2001 16:57
I have recently taken over as a manager of a welding department in a forging company. The high pressure piping work on the presses is issued to contractors. Since nobody used procedures for quality requirments before I started, I want to start testing the contractor's personnel and wish to set up some welding procedures. Does anyone have information regarding approvals and specs where no specification is called for.

Mel Jones
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 08-28-2001 01:25
If I read your question correctly

API 1104 would be what you are asking for.

There is also ASME. sect IX.

I do belive the choice of codes is yours. Might not hurt to see if there are any pre-existing contracts between your company and the contractor defining which standard to use.

I suggest you consult an independent testing Lab. They most likely have the answers you need for your application or will point you in the right direction.

Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-28-2001 18:34
The american national standards institute has various specification/standards for piping. The standards are prefixed with a B31 number. There are various standards for different types of service. I beleive hydraulic piping is covered in one of the standards.

The procedures for welding and welder qualification would normally be ASME Sec IX but the actual fabrication requirements would be contained within the applicable specification.

Have a good day

Parent - By welshmel Date 08-28-2001 19:16
Thank you both for the information. I knew I had to qualify the welders to ASME Sect IX but the B 31 specs were unknown to me so thanks a lot.

Mel
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-04-2001 20:31
Let me clear up a couple of things.
ASME/ANSI B.31 (formerly ANSI B.31, ASME entered the picture long later) is the "Code for Pressure Piping", and is divided into 8 setions. Each section is related to a different kind of piping. Secion 1, for example, is for Power Piping. Section 3 for Chemical Plant and Petroleum Refinery. Section 4 for Oil and Oil Products Transportation. Section 8 for Gas Transmission and Distribution.
The B.31 Code speaks of DESIGN AND CALCULATION of piping and piping systems, leaving the welders qualification procedures to the applicable Code or Standard. In the case of oil, oil products and gas pipelines, it would be API 1104, and in all other cases ASME IX.
Now, as part of the design of piping systems, the B.31 Code treats also of quality control procedures, including acceptability criteria of welds radiographs.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 09-04-2001 22:48
Very well said Dotor Crisi and thank you !

I learn something every time you post on this forum.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-06-2001 19:52
Thank you, Ron, for your kind words. As a matter of fact, I believe that ALL OF US learn something new every time we access this forum.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Pipe welding standards