Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Titanium Welder Qualification
- - By Shane Feder (****) Date 07-31-2008 06:13
Greetings all,
A question for you all that maybe Lawrence especially can assist with.
I have just read a publication by TWI (The Welding Institute) in Britain called "Welding Titanium - A Designers and Users Handbook.
This was written under Standards and Specifications, "ASME provides the only international non - aerospace standard for weldment qualification in titanium. For pressure vessel construction, the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code details procedure and performance tests which must be met for coded grades 1,2,3,7,9 and 12. Tensile and bend tests on trial welds made under conditions intended for production are the acceptance criteria."
Is this hidden somewhere in ASME IX that I have never seen, is there a separate ASME code for this or have they just got confused and are maybe thinking of AWS D17.1.
Any help greatly appreciated,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 07-31-2008 07:36 Edited 07-31-2008 07:46
Shane, try having a look at ASME VIII, Div. 1, UNF-19 and UNF-78.  ASME IX doesn't really address "specifically" (to my knowledge) with possible exception of variables for in, or out of chamber.  Hope this gives you a start point.

EDIT: Also check UNF-95 and Appendix NF.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-31-2008 11:06 Edited 07-31-2008 11:09
Good Day Shane!

May I ask which version of ASME Section IX you were looking through??? I ask this because even though it's an older version, (1998 - need to find my 2004 version and the amendments from 2005 version to check for any changes or omissions) Articles II, III, and IV cover welding procedure qualifications, welder performance qualifications, and those variables applicable to welding procedure, and welder performance qualification respectively.

The book you were referring to was published in 1999 by the TIG - otherwise known as the titanium Information Group in conjunction with TWI (The Welding Institute) of the UK so even though I'm going out on a limb  here, I suspect that the version of ASME Section IX they're referring to in the book is probably an older version as opposed to the most current version.

In the 1998 version of ASME Section IX, the "P" numbers for Titanium and Ti based alloys were 51 - 53, and their "SF" numbers were 51-54 respectively...
This information is based from what I read in my own book titled: "Companion Guide to the ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code", 1st Edition, Volumes 1, 2 published in 2002 but, a newer edition, published in 2006 will soon be available next month as it is currently sold out, which will include volume 3. I'll have to get back to you when I check the latest version of ASME Section IX, table QW-422 for the "P" numbers for those grades of Ti - wait! Never mind! I have them here next to me... Grade 1, 2, and 7 Ti are P#51, grade 3 &12 are P#52, grade 9 is a P#53.

The "F" #'s or as in ASME "SF"#'s according to SFA 5.16 which is ASME's version of AWS A 5.16, the "SF"# for Ti grades 1 & 3 are 51, Ti grade 7 is "SF"#52, Ti grade 9 is "SF"#53, and Ti grades 2 & 12 are "SF"#54 all are based from sec. SB-265. These numbers can also be found in section IX, in table QW-432.

Like I said before, I'll get back to you regarding the newer versions of section IX in order to find where you can locate the articles I was referring to above in the 1998 version of ASME section IX which are in my office.

I hope this helps in the meantime. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 07-31-2008 19:46
Jon / Henry,
Thanks for your responses.
The reason for my interest is my Welding Engineer boss said he is pretty sure that for titanium welder qualifications you must do RT and bends and yet neither of us can find the reference to it.
The TWI statement is pretty misleading because as far as I am aware titanium weldments can be qualified to various other international codes (eg. BS/EN 287 and 288)
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 07-31-2008 22:21
Shane,

please let me add something to the excellent information coming from Jon and Henry.

Doing this just since I have read you have mentioned Euronorm EN 287/288.

There is a lot of "political" uproar with the modification of EN 287 (fusion welding of steel) to "transform" it into a part of the EN ISO 9606 row. Normally EN 287 part 1 (Steel) should have been transformed into EN ISO 9606 part 1, but the standardization committee failed due to caveats. However, the standardization of the other metals and alloys was successful by having now:

EN ISO 9606 - 2 (Aluminum and its alloys)
EN ISO 9606 - 3 (Copper and its alloys)
EN ISO 9606 - 4 (Nickel and its alloys)
EN ISO 9606 - 5 (Titanium and its alloys / Zirconium and its alloys)

For Titanium and its alloys again they have distinguished three different "material groups" for the welding tests according EN ISO 9606 - 5.

They are designated by the letter "W" and as follows differentiated:

W 51 - Pure Titanium
W 52 - Alpha Titanium alloys (e.g. Ti-0,2 Pd; Ti-2,5 Cu; T-5Al-2,5Sn)
W 53 - Alpha Beta Titanium alloys (e.g. Ti-3Al-2,5V; Ti-6Al-4V; Ti-6Al-6V-2Sn)
W 54 - Beta Titanium alloys (e.g. Ti-10V-2Fe-3Al; Ti-13V-11Cr-3Al)

The validity in regard to the material thickness range is as follows:

Test coupon thickness: t <= 3mm --> validity thickness: t <= 2.5 t (mm)
Test coupon thickness: t > 3mm --> validity thickness: t >= 3mm

I have prepared an additional table showing the methods for Titanium welding test results according to EN ISO 9606 - 5, which I would like to attach for your kind information, see the attached pdf.

Hope this helps additionally to what has come from Jon and Henry.

Best regards,
Stephan
Attachment: Test_Methods_Titanium.pdf (10k)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-01-2008 18:00
AWS now has a welding code for structural applications of titanum. It came out a few months ago.

You didn't really say what your application was. Is it for a pressurized system or other application?

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 08-01-2008 20:01
Stephan,
Thank you very much for your response.
Al,
It is for Titanium piping on a Nickel Refinery,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-02-2008 01:18
Hi Shane!

Is it to ASME B31.1 or B31.3??? ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 08-02-2008 02:13
Hi Henry,
B31.3 NFS,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By Kulkarni (*) Date 08-02-2008 06:51
Shane,
Have you looked up QW-304 (welder) & QW-305 (welding operator)? The way I read it, for titanium (P51 to P53) welder qualification, mechanical (bend) and  visual examinations are required for all welding processes except GTAW process for which Radiography may be carried out in lieu of the above.
Regards
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Titanium Welder Qualification