Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Wondering what code is applicable???
- - By vagabond (***) Date 08-01-2008 00:25 Edited 08-01-2008 02:49
I am at a plant and I'm still fairly new to the inspection game.  I'm getting ready to test welders and I am the only inspector on-site.  The AI won't be here for awhile,  it is a fertilizer plant and all my stuff is low pressure exterior piping.  None is in the boiler or under high pressure so I'm thinking 31.3 should be the applicable code.  I've always had a document before, usually that I got from a senior inspector that spec'd the code we were using.  Here it is different, I'm probably going to go with 31.3 unless I hear different and I'll check with the NDE company who's been here before when they get on-site.  Thanks in advance for any input here guys.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 08-01-2008 01:01
If the welders are working for the company you represent, then you should have the procedures. B31.3 qualify welders to ASME Section IX. If the welders are working for a contractor, then they have to be qualified by that companies procedures. IN that case, all you would do is witness the test. The test would need to be performed under the supervision and direction of the contractor's QC. You would review the WPS and PQR's and check the test coupons to be sure the material is right. But you would not sign the test papers for that welder unless you work for the contractor.
BABRT's
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 08-04-2008 13:00
fertilizer plant.. the temtation to mention the farm code was inescapable. With that out of the way, a quote from B31.3 2006.
B31.1 under scope:
300.1.3 Exclusions. This Code excludes the following:
(a) piping systems designed for internal gage pressures
at or above zero but less than 105 kPa (15 psi),
provided the fluid handled is nonflammable, nontoxic,
and not damaging to human tissues as defined in 300.2,
and its design temperature is from −29°C (−20°F)
through 186°C (366°F)

If your going to have an AI to begin with, most likely it will be B31.3 etc, however; B31.3 has specific criteria for application. Something you may need to be aware of in the future.
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 08-06-2008 23:14
Maybe I'm missing something here, when does B31.3 ever have to have an A.I involved? You should be looking at the design drawings to determine the code requirements, you just can't deside to pull one out of the air. If it is process piping and does come under B31.3 then it needs to be determined if it's cat. M, D, Normal, or severe cyclic. All should be on the design specs.

Thanks
Jim
Parent - - By vagabond (***) Date 08-08-2008 02:58
Well I had asked the "designers" or "engineers" and/or "planners" as there were no specs. per say.  I've determined after some research into the old QC packages in the "library" what they are after.  The engineers as usual were little or no help at all.  Personally I don't know why the AI wouldn't be involved, I am always involved with my AI's about everything as it is much easier that way.  I agree they "should" be on the design specs, however there are many things that should be . . . . .but sometimes are not.  I've worked on entire boiler re-tube jobs with very little to go by in the way of specs.  that were supplied by the client.  I just happened to be with a company who did a lot of it and we had our own.  Some jobs I don't even get prints let alone specs.  I get a w/o number and a line number and if I'm lucky material ID.  I love working in the midwest!!!!
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 08-08-2008 11:30 Edited 08-09-2008 16:09
Vanabond,
Are you talking about an authorized inspector (NBIC A.I)? Or something else? I have worked alot of B31.3 piping in my career and have never had an insurance agency involved in it, which is what I thought your original post was referring to. (B31.3) So please educate me. I'm not saying your wrong I'm just saying it is something new to me and would like to know more.

You mentioned you have worked on boiler re-tube work before. Unless it is a liquor boiler its safe to say it would be ASME Sec I work. I was thinking on the drawings themselves would be a code call out that you could go off of.

Thanks
Jim
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 08-09-2008 00:21
Well the companies inspector for all their plants is an NBIC AI yes.  Most of our work is not involving him, however we do have shell and exchanger stuff etc. where we cross paths.  Boiler work is much more what I'm used to and petro-chem where things are done by the book.  This place I'm at is a joke plain and simple.  The plant has already had bad accidents in the past and it is a time bomb in my professional opinion.  I just started with this company on a permanent basis, however I have already decided this will be my last job.  I am only finishing this one because I was recommended  by friend.  They have a good package, but a high turnover in the QC dept. and now I know why.  They are looking for a stamper, not an inspector and I don't roll like that.  FWIW the stuff that the AI has is well documented thanks to his efforts.  But my other problems deal with a lot of the process (exterior) piping and the lack of info etc.  so I was just getting his opinion as he is a resource on site.  Hope that cleared it up. 
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Wondering what code is applicable???