Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / stamping A514 high yield mat.
- - By riverunner75 Date 08-04-2008 17:55
I am not sure as where to find anything that specifically states that low stress or non-low stress stamps would be required when stamping A514 material. It is High-Yield-Strength, so I would only assume low-stress to be the safe route.
We abide by customer spec. along with D1.1 and can't find a stated requirement for the stamps. 
I seem to think that the chisel point stamp looks a lot cleaner and easier to read, so while waiting on an answer from the customer, I figured someone may have some more insight on this topic? 
Parent - By mroach (**) Date 08-07-2008 15:50
Not sure if it helps, but most of the heavy highway and bridge components we fabricate require piece marks and they must be low stress stamps. May not be as cosmetic but regardless of the strength of the material the chisel style stamp itself creates a stress point that may be detrimental to the service life of the piece after so many cycles or environmental factors. Either way the answer is'nt in D1.1 . It is stipulated in D1.5 2002 Section 12.4.6 Base Metal Identification. Hope this helps.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-11-2008 11:08
No reference to a code, no real answer.

Al
Parent - By tom cooper (**) Date 08-11-2008 16:21
You may be thinking about something you have seen in a Navy specification, Mil-Std-278. If you get a copy, look in paragraph "7.8 Marking" where they mention low-stress round-bottom impression stamping.
This is required by Mil jobs for purposes of future traceability between individual welded joint (when deemed critical) and inspection documentation.  This paragraph also cites prohibitions and precautions on stamping.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / stamping A514 high yield mat.