Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Metal Stitching of castings
- - By welshmel Date 09-04-2001 18:31
Can anyboby tell me what metal stitching of castings entails?
Thanks in advance.

Mel
Parent - - By - Date 09-04-2001 19:49
In South Africa this term is used for a process whereby cracked castings are repaired through drilling and tapping the cracked sections and pulling them together with small studs. A rather intricate operation, which when done well will render a casting "leak proof" after the repair.

By its nature, it is not practiced widely anymore, due to the advancement of welding technology. I do believe however, that there will be some companies around that still do this. Personally I would try the welding route first. (But then, being a welding engineer, what else would you expect?)

Regards
Niekie
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 09-21-2001 04:20
Metal stitching is still in use, but as you said not as widespread. I have seen it used to repair cracks in cast CrMoV turbine casings in steam plants. It requires a lot of machining on a turbine casing since they are several inches thick. A "dogbone" shape opening is machined in the casting, then a slightly smaller dogbone shape insert is heated to expand it thermally and pressed into the opening. Upon cooling, the tension in the insert pulls the crack shut.

Marty
Parent - By ScottVandenbos Date 09-18-2001 19:44
the problem of welding castings is that is it difficult to get to the 'end' of the crack. The thermal input has a tendency to pushthe croak out further making the repair useless. A combination strategy has however been effective. - Find the ends of the cracks, drill then out (so they don't get longer, THEN weld the joint instead of weave the joint.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Metal Stitching of castings