Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / first welding test for a company
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-06-2008 20:08
Well the wife found an add in the paper for mig welders in a shop(I wonder if she's trying to tell me something). They said come on down and asked if I had stainless or nickel experience....none, I've got a stainless exhaust tip?? Grabbed my hood and gloves and they led me to the senior welder, real nice guy. They weld up to one inch and were working on some huge stuff for smoke stacks. It's been a long time since I've handled a mig gun that big! Been using a Hobart 110v but have been away from the Tim Taylor welder since 2000. He had the machine set and had me run a flat fillet weld. He went to talk to his boss and another welder came over and asked if I could run vertical. I told him I did all the tests at school, flat, horizonatal, vertical up/down and overhead but had not done it this hot in awhile(2000). They were running an .045 wire, not sure of the gas mix but it was a solid wire. Had it set around 25v's and 325 I believe. I started out good on my vertical down and it lasted for about three inches and then....I was going to slow. Needless to say it would have made good miniature flea waterslide!! I was shaking my head under the hood in the "no good" fashion cause I knew it was poop. When I stood up the welder said, "you gotta move on with that, it's hot". I shook my head and agreed and told him I figured when it started to go bad it was already doomed.

The other welder came back and said he was looking for someone with more stainless/nickel experience and wanted that so he could just tell the guy what needed to be done and get back to his job. Training a guy would take him away from his duties, but if no one fit the bill they would keep me in mind. I told him it's hard getting your foot in the door cause everyone wants "experienced welders" but with the welder shortage I keep hearing about the opportunities to get in are tricky. He said 30 years ago when he started it was the same way, nobody would hire him cause he had no experience, he said, how you supposed to get it if you can't get a job doing it. We had a good conversation and I understand where he's coming from. The test was interesting though, got a little nervous actually. I know I could run vertical up/down flat, standing on my head with my machine at home. I guess I'm just not that experienced running that hot and the speed. I did notice that it was poop though.

Oh well, going out to the pipefitters local tomorrow to start the application process. Maybe I can get on the apprentice program.
Parent - By RANDER (***) Date 08-06-2008 20:36
Sometimes you don't make it past the application,  Sometimes you get to interview, sometimes thats a test.  Good for you .  Learn what you can from that and get out and try again.  If you have a local CC with a welding program that might be a cool option to train for little cost to you.  Years ago I took a 1 unit lab class.  Cost = $12.  Could burn all the rod/wire I wanted and was taught by a knowledgeable instructor who years later proctored my CWI exam.  Keep trying
Parent - - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 08-06-2008 20:45
Shawn,
Man don't sweat it a bit. we have all busted a test or two. Heck, I just busted an unlimited thickness test Last week. The Voltage and wire speed sound right for .045 wire. Yep, You gotta get that bead started and then get to moving. A slight upward angle on the Gun helps alot.
You have the right attitude Shawn, kick the dust off from that test and move on to the next one. You'll get hired on somewhere. Best wishes.
respectfully, Jeffrey
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 08-06-2008 20:57
nothing wrong with busting a test as long as you can learn from your mistakes.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-06-2008 22:26
Like I said at first on the dh it was good, then tragedy struck! I think I was trying to get the weld a bit thicker and when I slowed oh boy! I had the slight uphill angle, was actually on one knee just lacked the speed at those temps. Actually thought about hitting the tech school near home, but then need a regular job to support the family. Kinda wanting to get the training while at the job, kill two birds with one stone. I'll keep on trying, one thing for certain I don't want the mechanic jobs, turned one down this week to pursue the welding.
Parent - By up-ten (***) Date 08-07-2008 03:30
Tell the wife to keep looking while your practicing. You'll get the knack of it. Our wives(or at least mine does) got that keen radar sense for work, especially around the house.
Parent - - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 08-07-2008 04:19
Shawn,
Pursue the trade that you really want. welding will provide a long career and good support for Your family. Have You looked into You local Community College to see if they offer an evening welding course with College level credit? Just for future referece, I have found that when using an industrial MIG machine in Vert-down, i use the very slightest weave, side to side. it really has helped me keep that weld pool right up in the joint, and of course keeping the proper speed of progression don't hurt either.
Respectfully, Jeffrey
Parent - - By Mat (***) Date 08-07-2008 11:58 Edited 08-07-2008 12:10
After my first year of welding, I got a job in a plant that built a lot (lots) of truck parts.  If you want to get in a lot of welding to refine the basics, it'd be a start.  I've moved forward quite a bit since those days, but you have to start somewhere!  Whatever you do, don't assume to know everything.  It just ends up biting you in the @$$!  It takes time, and believe me, I'm still learning.  Sometimes ya gotta step back and relax to move forward.  If in doubt, ask!
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-08-2008 11:50
I usually use a type of weave on my tiny mig at home but then again I'm only running a 035 wire at low volts...little 110 machine. I'm not sure about the factory mig thing. It did seem interesting and nothing against any welders out there doing it. I keep looking/thinking about the pipe and stick though, something I may regret if I don't try and pursue it. I may look back one day and say, "darn wish I would have" kinda thing. Actually might end up searching out a "job" at a local auto dealer so I can have an income and then hit the tech college near home in the evenings. Put my application in yesterday at the local Pipefitters Union, see what happens.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / first welding test for a company