Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I need your feedback == Copper Welding Backers
- - By Allen Moss (*) Date 08-07-2008 00:41
I tried to get some feed back on the Automotive section but no one was looking? In the Eastwood catalog I found 4 inch and 8 inch "Magnetic" copper welding backers. Have any of you used these backers? I am a novice welder and am trying to do some MIG work on a 32 Ford Pickup. I will be replacing body panels and this seems like it may be a good idea....but not before asking those of you who know.  If any of you folks can give me some feed back it would be very helpful. Thank you for your  help.
Allen
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-07-2008 02:53
Allen

I have used copper backing bars for years, and not always without problems caused by melting the copper into the steel.  I general, copper backing is very good.  I have never seen a "Magnetic" copper welding backer.
Parent - - By rlitman (***) Date 08-07-2008 06:20
I saw these just recently too, and was wondering the same thing.  It sure looks like a neat idea.
Parent - By Mat (***) Date 08-07-2008 11:49
A pair of C clamp vice grips and a small plate of copper has usually worked good for me on a lot of insane gaps.  I'd only use it as a structural cheat though, and only if you're going to gouge/grind out the bottom side!  :)
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-07-2008 17:51
Nice looking.  How much does it cost?
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-08-2008 03:39
The item pictured is $36.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-08-2008 03:38
I have only seen them in pictures, but keep in mind that high temperatures kill magnets, so don't let them get real hot.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-08-2008 04:01
I stay away from copper backing if there is any chance the arc could impinge upon it. Copper doesn't get along with most other metals. It seems to make nearly everything crack.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-08-2008 04:33
    When used properly these should never get to the melting point of the copper. I do agree that copper mixing in with the molten steel can cause problems.
Parent - - By snuffman (***) Date 08-08-2008 04:54
Ive never used copper. Have yall ever used brass backing plates?
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-09-2008 03:48
     Copper has a higher melting temperature and conducts the heat away faster. It works better than brass. In high quality work where contamination from the copper is an issue they nickel plate the copper.
Parent - By darren (***) Date 08-09-2008 09:30
agreed. we had some transverse cracking in some sub arc welds and it took a very seasoned veteran in our shop to realize that it was the contact tip coming in contact with the puddle that caused them. i was very impressed with his diagnosis as we had a lot of welding experts that couldn't figure it out and the man with the hands on experience nailed it right away. our company and the welding machine company spent some serious money to find out why our brand new state of the art welder was leaving these little transverse cracks in our weld; copper impregnation.
darren
Parent - - By Brian T. Beard (**) Date 08-08-2008 04:49
never used copper but I have used brass and it work pretty good but dont put it in a hole to build up around it. Like any metal it expands, one good thing it don't stick and you can let the arc get pretty close. It only scars the brass but don't impregnate the steel.
Parent - - By scrappywelds (***) Date 08-09-2008 01:26
they make some fiberglass/fiber material backing straps for filling gaps. Got it from a vendor at a safety day cookout. Haven't tried it but the F&M Mafco vendor said it works very well. One side is sticky to keep it in place.
Parent - By hillbilly (**) Date 08-17-2008 01:17
find some "sparkys" on your next job and ask them about old bus bars. They come in various sizes and lengths and work very well for backers.
Parent - By JescoPressure (**) Date 08-17-2008 21:48
take your time fitting and cutting body panels try to get it with zero gaps if you want any tips on welding in panel i've done quite a few quarter panels and rockers ,floors etc.
Feel free to pm me
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I need your feedback == Copper Welding Backers