Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Filter Lens Eye Protection Specification
- - By beleg Date 09-05-2001 17:23
I am a student welder, but I know a lot more about materials/chemistry.

I was wondering what the exact specifications are for adequate eye protection. Unfortunately, the ANSI Z49.1 specification costs $101, and the local universities (this includes UC Berkeley Engineering Library!?) have a copy.

All I want is the section on filter/lens specifications. Any suggestions as to where/how a starving student might find this INFO???

TIA! Mike
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-05-2001 18:43
http://www.selu.edu/Administration/Depts/Safety/safe2.html#FilterLens

http://www.dot.state.ny.us/progs/safety/sb-95-5a.html

Those are a couple of free ones. Also consider freebies from your local welding supplier.

Even Starving students must have textbooks eh? Charts provided in quality textbooks will site the source of data at the bottom of the chart or page. <my prefrence is Cary's Modern welding Technology 3rd edition>

Enjoy

Lawrence
Parent - By beleg Date 09-05-2001 19:02
Lawrence,

THANKS for the help! Especially the URL's

>consider freebies from your local welding supplier.

Did that yesterday. :-)

>Even Starving students must have textbooks eh?

I have *The Proceedure Handbook of Arc Welding.* If that was a medical text, then it would worth ca. $200!

No luck tho....

I did find the best description under the OSHA Laser/Eye Safety handbook listing.

I should qualify my info request: I'm looking for an actual physical description of what constitutes ANSI Z49.1/Z87.1 eye protection...

Light wavelengths/intensities etc., etc. What makes an eye filter an eye filter?

Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-05-2001 19:50
Z49.1 contains only the much copied table guide for shade #s and will not provide the specific scientific data your searching for. It's right in front of me as I type this. I don't have a copy of Z87.1 so I can't say how the two documents differ.

Sometimes AWS personnel actually read these postings. They have published many articles focused on industrial Hygiene and maybe they can point you in the right direction and $urpri$e us all by doing so for free :)

Let us know what you find !

Lawrence
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Filter Lens Eye Protection Specification