Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Underwater Certification
- - By lfriel Date 09-05-2001 23:14
Does anyone have any info on this Subject? Pay, educators, opportunities globally?
Parent - - By Iron Man (*) Date 09-25-2001 15:42
There is a school in Texas called The Ocean Corparation and a school on the East coast called Divers Acadamy on the Eastern Sea Board in Camden NJ. The one in Texas is 7 months the one in NJ is 20 weeks. They both provide underwater Certs along with other training. After completion I'm not sure about the pay but there is alot of work out there.

Welding Instructor

Parent - - By dpetri10166 Date 05-15-2004 15:21
Hi, Do you know the location and a contact # for The Ocean Corparation
in Texas ? I cant find any info on the net. Thanks
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-15-2004 15:59
http://oracle-web.petersons.com/ccc92/display_pdf?p_instance_id=104103.pdf

Try this,
John Wright
Parent - - By NDTCMTInsp Date 09-26-2001 02:29
Subject? Pay, educators, opportunities globally?

<Subject> Generally 2 types of underwater welding as performed by divers--hyperbaric and wet. Hyperbaric performed in pressurized atmosphere (underwater habitat) and wet welding performed directly in the wet with sealed electrodes.

<educators> A number of so called commercial diving schools that should be called "COMMERCIAL commercial" diving schools where you will spend upwards of 20k. There is a tech school in Morgan City, La that will get your foot in the door at a tech school's cost (Young Memorial).

<opportunities globally> American divers rarely work overseas and "typically" have few opportunities overseas. For Americans the work is limited in the Gulf of Mexico (offshore) and Inland. You start offshore (my experience) at the very bottom. You could have every welding qual/cert known to man and still have to start at the same level as someone who flipped burgers at their last job. This "pay your dues level" goes on for several years and then if you are a good-ol- boy (and worked hard) you can break out as a junior diver. When you eventually get to participate in underwater welding, you probably will find "typically" professionally qualified craftspeople/welders make more money than underwater welders and have more/better job opportunities.

J. Penland AWS SCWI

Parent - By weldeng13 (*) Date 05-17-2004 17:16
I was wondering why are opportunities limited for American divers overseas? Is it pay rate?
Parent - By gndchuck (**) Date 05-17-2004 02:00
The pay is anywhere between $10.00 to $56.00 an hour, depending on if it's a union job or not. Out in the gulf of mexico you're looking at a max of about $36.00 an hour, minunum 12 hour days. I've been doing underwater welding for 7 years now, and make a fairly good living at it. I can answer what questions that you have, my e-mail is cwelch5215@aol.com.

Best of luck,
Charles Welch
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Underwater Certification