Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / hood time
- - By kurt kiser Date 08-08-2008 20:44
Hello ya'll my name is kurt i'am 37 and live south of dallas(ennis) tx.Been to a local trade school it was ok now want some hood time to really learn how to weld smaw.i do have a good job but want something for  the weekend or at night?not asking for your money just your time.i do have a truck with welder and some tools to offer.i like welding but know i need many hours hood time to learn it . so if you can help then thanks.
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 08-09-2008 12:56
Hey kurt,
Here are some suggestions from an 'ol timer to provide some insight to make yourself a good weldor. Your remark that the trade school was "ok" indicates you feel you did not get all that you expected. Maybe give consideration to going to a college level training program for a more in-depth schooling of welding and all associated welding categories. SMAW is just one of the welding genres that you need, and you will find that in many situations, it is not the right process for a particular job or repair. Learn to be proficient in all the processes and you will find you will have more success and will not have problems finding work. The best weldors became so because they PRACTICED..... every chance they had. Your learning advancement and welding skill will come from all the mistakes you make. Ask any seasoned weldor will tell you the same.

Go to some scrap yards, local manufacturing companies, or salvage companies and get some various material to practice on. Start with getting really good at flat welding, then progress to vert. up & down, overhead, and underneath laying on your back. If you want to be proficient, you will need to be able to apply all this plus more in instances and that would include other processes, ie., MIG, TIG, & O/A. There is a lot of work available if you want it.... just gotta hustle a bit and be really good at what you to do. Crappy or mediocre work will get you nothing as far as a side or "hobby" welding to enhance your income and provide you with learning skills.

After 45 years of welding and retiring 3 times, I still work P/T, have a very lucrative "hobby" operation with repair work every day and provide a mobile service. Quite rewarding I will assure you. It is really all in your own hands as far as what you want to accomplish & be really good with. As another member and I suggested in another post here to a new member, look into the mirror and ask the person you see how bad they want it...... then answer that person. Good luck in your quest.......     Denny
Parent - By kurt kiser Date 08-11-2008 12:51
ty will i do work in a scrap yard in got all the metal i need i was just wanting to get out and do some in the field . i do tig at home on race cars and harleys .but thanks for the reply deny if you ever want some help let me know.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / hood time