Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / welder qualification
- - By wall2112 (*) Date 08-09-2008 15:51
where i work we use one test plate to qualify the welder to three differant specs. would it be safe to say that as long as the test plate was welded with backing plate, it was an acceptable test piece for d 1.1,248d,asme. all test plates are x-rayed for acceptance. i have looked at all the spec's and it look's like it is but looking for some real expert advice. i have only been a cwi for 4 years and want to sharpen this part of my game, i feel like i know just enough to get myself in trouble. any help i could get would be greatly appreciated.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-09-2008 20:47
Hello Wallace;

It can be done in some, but not all cases.

Some considerations:
Is the base metal an approved base metal for each welding standard?
Is the filler metal an approved filler metal, i.e., was it ordered to the proper specification? Some filler metals for military work are ordered to AWS filler metal specifications, but with additional testing and documentation requirements imposed. Others have to be ordered to military specifications.

Which acceptance criteria are you going to use when evaluating the test piece?

The proper terminology has to be used when completing the performance test record. The terminology is different in some cases. Consider:

AWS D1.1                      ASME                                TP248/TP278
Base Metal                   Group No.                     P numbers                          S number
Filler Metal Spec.         A5.X                              SFA5.X                              MIL-E-XXXXX or AWS A5.X
Filler Metal Class          EXXXX                          EXXXX                               MIL-XXXX
Filler Metal Grouping    F Number                      F Number                           A-XX
F.M. Chemistry            N.R.                              A Number                           N.R.
Positions Qualified                       ----- Different -------------------------
Thickness Range                         ----- Different -------------------------

So, the paperwork is different for each welding standard. There are ways to work around the problems, but it takes some research and ingenuity and care. The standard WPTR ain't gonna do it.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By wall2112 (*) Date 08-10-2008 17:02
acceptance visually is done with the most strengant parts of the three specs. x-ray we use all the penny's required in all the specs,acceptance is the same as visual we use the most strengant parts of acceptabillity of the three specs. as far as keeping the certs,we punch the test booklet number into the computor and it puts the certs in the proper record for D1.1,248D or asme. pretty easy system,we only weld on A36 and 300 series stainless. we do weld on 17-4ph and aluminum.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / welder qualification