Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Removing broken bolts /intake manifold./1988 Camaro
- - By CamaroBarbie Date 08-10-2008 13:39
Any one that can help with the easiest solution to extract a thermostat bolt with barely nothing available to grab on to.Could use some real help and solutions here
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 08-10-2008 13:49
use and easyout
Parent - - By CamaroBarbie Date 08-10-2008 14:16
Do you need to heat the bolt first ??
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 08-10-2008 15:52
Hey CamaroBarbie,
You may have success with this procedure:

If there is a slight protrusion of the bolt above the surface, take a cutoff wheel and cut a slot across the center, deep & wide enough to engage a heavy screwdriver.

After cutting the slot, while the stud is hot, spray on generously some PB penetrate and allow to sit an hour or so.

Warm the area surrounding the stud, and with a heavy screwdriver & light hammer, tap the driver while turning the stud. I have removed hundreds of broken bolts & studs with this method.

Hope this may help you....   Good luck.....    Denny
Parent - By rlitman (***) Date 08-10-2008 20:54
This is much easier than using an easyout, and still leaves you with that option if its too frozen.
If you have an "impact screwdriver" like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37530
you may have better luck getting it out with one of those, than tapping a screwdriver with a hammer.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-11-2008 05:58
If none of the above work You can drill it out and tap for a heli coil or threaded insert. A poor farmer would just tap for a larger bolt and drill out the hole in the thermostat housing.
Parent - By SMTatham (**) Date 08-16-2008 22:07
Hope you got it out by now.  MG600 rod and welding a nut onto the head is the way to fly.  I have done as small as 1/4" and as big as 1 1/2" with this method.  Little primer on the subject on Messer's website, or at your LWS.  I have done hundreds of studs and bolts; almost always after someone else tried and gave up.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Removing broken bolts /intake manifold./1988 Camaro