Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Diesel or Unleaded?
- - By jacanfora (*) Date 08-11-2008 16:52
I'm an AWS certified welder, currently enrolled in school for print reading, LA City certification D1.1 and 1.3, intermidiate arc, and semi-automatic welding. I'm looking to buy a truck in the near future and was wondering what the advantages are for diesel over unleaded gasoline engines, besides resale value. When they say 1500 or 2500 on gmc, chevy, and dodge what exatly are they reffering to. Any insight would be great. Much Thanx
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 08-11-2008 18:33
Hello jacanfora, welcome to the forum. The short story on the 1500, 2500, 3500 goes like this: 1500- 1/2 ton rating, 2500- 3/4 ton rating, 3500- 1 ton rating. Ford does the same thing using F150, F250, F350. Diesel vs. Gas- you'll likely get any number of responses for the pros and cons. Short version: Diesel will generally have more pulling power/torque and better fuel economy, can also have slightly greater upkeep cost, yet that will generally be offset by longer service life. Gas is generally cheaper on the initial vehicle cost, yet depending upon the miles driven and how hard you are on it, it will definitely burn much more fuel and could wear out in a much shorter period of time. There are lots of variables that could be considered between the two, I have just skimmed on some of them. I'm sure others will chime in on this, so stay tuned and consider all of the responses. Good luck and best regards, aevald
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 08-12-2008 19:49
I think Allen has outlined this for you pretty good.

I'll just add a few things about gas and diesel.  I currently have a 1997 350 diesel that I use to pull a trailer 25% of the time.  This trailer is 14,000 gross and I usually haul 8-12,000.  I can pull at highway speed and get 12-14 mpg.  This mpg is low compared to the newer diesels that get up in the high teens mpg under a load.  Before 2001, I had a 1992 250 with 351 gas.  I also used that to pull a trailer in the 6-8,000 weight range.  With that gas truck at highway speed I could get 8-10 mpg.

Gas versus Diesel is just based on what you plan to use the truck for.  The diesel is $4-6k more to buy new, and the fuel is 10-15% more in today's market.  It takes a lot of miles to make up that cost difference, but if you are going to haul loads with it on a regular basis diesel is the way to go.  If you are going to use it to haul a few pieces of plywood once in a while, gas would be more economical.
Parent - - By jacanfora (*) Date 08-13-2008 17:17
Thank you for keeping it simple. I dont plan on towing anything anytime soon. I'm living in CA moving to AZ, I'm not familiar with the terrain or mile span I may have to cover out there. I need to decide on whether or not I'm going to rig it up with machine, cylinders, air compressor, tools, ect. Going out to AZ today to visit for a week before school starts. Still have some months to look into things.
Parent - By hillbilly (**) Date 08-26-2008 11:26
If I was just starting out, I'd be open to both types of vehicles (gas and diesel) I currently own both and both have their place. The diesel is great when loaded to the gills and we've got a good piece of ground to cover. The gas truck is a good all around vehicle, especially for the service work i do. The one thing I do like about the old gas truck over the diesel, is it's easier to find parts for it when I'm in the sticks and in a bind for a much needed part. Now the old diesel truck, is pretty dang reliable, it just seems to keep chugging along. I guess my point is just see which of the two pops up and be open minded.
Parent - - By JHarlos (**) Date 08-29-2008 00:53
another point is that it is a good idea to have the same fuel type of truck and welder, if you are going to rig up.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 08-29-2008 17:59
3/4 VS 1 ton...
The only difference is one leaf in the spring rack. If your buying a used truck, the cheaper 3/4 can be beefed up with dual wheels etc to carry any load a 1 ton can and usually cheaper than many sellers want for the "heavier rated" truck.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-30-2008 05:36
   That may be the only OBVIOUS difference, but a 1 ton has a thicker frame, thicker & better atached spring hangers, heavier axle assembly and heavier front suspension as well. Figure up the GVW of the loaded truck & buy accordingly.
Parent - - By theweldor (*) Date 08-31-2008 22:32
Dave
The most improtant part of the difference between the 3/4 and 1 ton is the brakes are bigger on the 1 ton. A 1/2 ton will get 2,000 lbs rolling but try to stop it.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-01-2008 03:32
   I agree. I know the heavier trucks have bigger brakes, but I don't have data to back it up. I was a tool & die maker at an auto & truck frame plant [Dana Corp.], I know for sure about the different components in the frames, axel assemblies & suspension components, having built & rebuilt the tooling that made them.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Diesel or Unleaded?