Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weldability of Nitronic and 310SS
- - By jmcnamara Date 09-11-2001 20:50
I be interested to know if there are any problems encountered in the welding of 310 to 304 and Nitronic 40 to 304. What are the applicable welding wires for these applications? Where could I locate more information?
Parent - By pdweldor (*) Date 09-13-2001 20:33
These materials should have good weldability. As always with stainless, keep it clean.

I have a datasheet from Carpenter Technology for 21 Cr - 6 Ni - 9 Mn, which is their version of Nitronic 40. (www.cartech.com) The datasheet recommends using 309 if the mechanical properties of the Nitronic 40 are not required for the weld. 309 is acceptable for joining both 304 and Nitronic individually, and therefore good for joining them together. I think that 308 would be OK also based on the constitution diagrams (WRC 1992 & Schaeffler Diagram). The ASM Handbook volume 6 "Welding and Brazing" has good expainations on how to use the consitutution diagrams. The AWS handbooks also have some info on how to used consitution diagrams. Does this joint have any special service requirements, such as magnetic permeability? If so you would have to consider using nickel based fillers which are completely non magnetic

You can use 308 for joining 304 to 310. This is listed in the welding and fabricating data book. Unfortuneately, I don't know who published this book since I only have pages copied out of it. Type 309 would also be acceptable.

Regards.

Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weldability of Nitronic and 310SS