Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / More questions about Pipefitters Union
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-13-2008 22:50
I went today and took my test for the Union. Got all worked up about what may be on it and took it and thought....hmmm, that was not so bad. I found out I did great on the first three tests, the 4th I'll know tomorrow, but it was to bad to me. Not compared to an ASE test on emission control systems.

I talked to the Union today and told the lady there and she said as soon as they get the results she'd put in my file. I was wondering when I may here back and she said, maybe next week or maybe in 2 months.

Hows this work? I get a call, they say start on Monday at XX location. I'm sure I'll have a contact or something right? This is different than anything I've done. Usually you get the job and you start on such and such day and that's it. I've been out at jobsites when I worked at the rental company, drive around in the service truck til I found the broken machine and so on.

Another question, when they call what should I expect to bring with me as a "newb", "greenhorn" etc? I'd say steel toes are required. Hardhat? Or am I just fussing to much and should shut up and wait and they'll let me know???

What's the "newb" do anyhow? Am I a gofer mostly? Kinda stupid questions to be asking now huh?? Probably be the oldest apprentice in history!! LOL

Any thoughts would be appreciated, guess I should expect a few "hey go get me a muffler clamp" kinda things. Won't be any different than being promoted a rank in the Marines, time to walk the gauntlet....ouch or any other kind of stuff that never officially happened while I was in.
Parent - By K.Sexton82 (*) Date 08-14-2008 00:34
what kinda test did you have to take? stainless and carbon heavywall
Parent - - By tighand430 (***) Date 08-14-2008 00:49
You will call your business agent/dispatcher and find out what jobs you can get out on. He'll send your info to the local that has the manpower call and send you over there. You will pick up your referral at the local you're working in and go to the job site. What you bring can vary from local to local but usually you don't bring nothing but you, your hood and steel toed boots. Everything else is provided by the contractor unless it's in the local's contract the you have to furnish certain tools. If they do require tools, they'll give you a list of what you need. As far as what you do, it depends. If your a journeyman fitter, you'll be bolting up or installing pipe and supports. A welder will also do this some, but don't let them hire ya in as a welder and then not let you weld but once a week, that's what fitters are for. An apprentice will help a fitter do whatever grunt work there is to do. Best thing to do is when you get on the job, don't act like you know or can do it all. Alot of hands will teach you if you're willing to learn but won't show you nothing if you act like a smartass.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-14-2008 11:37 Edited 08-14-2008 12:40
Thanks tighand. I'll be an apprentice but my goal is to weld not fit, although I'm sure that's part of the job at times. I know some things but I listen well and like to learn from experienced folks, I'm like a sponge.

Sexton, the test was an assessment of some sorts, reading, math, locating information and applied technology. It was given by the career center in the big city. I think it's just to find out what you know or something.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 08-14-2008 12:21
     So did they tell you that you are in the union now or did they tell you to wait for a phone call?  You will want to know how to fit and weld because those are the guys that will get worked the most.  When your on a job and the welding is all done, if you can fit you will stay on the job just in case a weld comes up.  Being an apprentice you will catch the usual flak, but you will get taken care of as in what to do and what not to do by the big dogs if you are good people.  Like said above, absorb the knowledge like a sponge and don't act like a know it all.  When you go out on your first job, let us know how it went and how ya like it.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-14-2008 12:39
Kix, actually just waiting for the phone call right now. If my tests are any indication I should here from them. Told the lady at the union hall I was eagerly awaiting the phone call. When it came to learning stuff I would volunteer to learn things as a mechanic nobody else would, just because it's good for me to know.
Parent - - By hillbilly (**) Date 08-17-2008 01:04
What local are you trying for? i know the cutoff date has already come and gone for local 572 here in nashville, tn. It'll be '09 before anyone gets accepted again, or so i heard. you know how that goes.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-17-2008 13:43
hillbilly, it was the 572 the lady at the union hall said they take applications all the time. I went to the sheetmetal workers union and they did the apps and test one day a year and over at 572 they did'nt do it that way from what I heard. I got an application in at a local rental shop(yuk) but once I did all this stuff everyone started to call me to do my metal work around here. My sis is a contractor and they have a big job coming up and I can't deny the money working for yourself is much better. I guess if the Union don't call for awhile that'll be ok.....for now. Thanks for the heads up though.

Shawn
Parent - By hillbilly (**) Date 08-18-2008 02:10
funny story to tell you about the sheetmetal workers hall. I rode up with a friend that submitted an app. back in may of this year. The guy handling this asked was I interested, I politely declined and told him I was still up in the air as to whether or not i would be going back to colleg or pursing another trade just yet. He invited me to sit and listen to the pros and cons, and how thing's worked for the sheetmetal workers. It was pretty interesting as they do alot more things than I had anticipated. He got into benefits and pay and then he stated       " boys, you ain't gonna get rich, but you'll pay your bills". I chuckled to myself and thought, well that can be said for alot of jobs in the world, but i don't think that's a selling point i would chose. He couldn't have imagined the bills my friend currently had at the time. On the other hand atleast he didn't try and tell us that we'd would make so much money that we'd be retired in 5 years. It was a good experience listening in to his session and i can say that they do have some good oppurtonities in their trade. I liked that apprentices only attend class one time a week instead of 2 like other trades. I know sometimes the jobsite and the classroom can be a pretty good piece from one another. Making the trip once, sure beats making it twice in the same week.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / More questions about Pipefitters Union