Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hydrogen embrittlement
- - By TheSavvy1 (**) Date 08-14-2008 00:40
Hello,

Is it safe to weld stainless material with an Argon/Hydrogen 95/5 mix gas? I know it is common to see this mix used in Orbital welding applications with an ID purge flow.

But in a fillet application welding the filler material to the base; Could it increase the chance of embrittlement or even reduce the strength of the weld using the mix gas?

Parent - By sid mehta Date 08-14-2008 06:35
In Argon 95 % and Hydrogen 5% the hydrogen helps increase weld pool fluidity , create a hotter arc and it combines with oxygen in the immediate vicinity of the weld pool forming H2O thereby reducing oxidation giving a cleaner weld. It is recommended for plasma and orbital welding of austenitic steels.
Generally HIC is not a problem associated with austenitic steels .IGCC , SCC ,Hot cracking and Sigma phase formation are more likely

Susceptibility to cracking in HAZ due to HIC is greatest in martensitic microstructure and least in ferritic. As a thumb rule it is assumed that steel is not susceptibile to cracking if its CEiiw is < o.4 and its HAZ hardness is < 350 VHN 
Parent - - By ravi theCobra (**) Date 08-14-2008 17:09
You haven't said  the welding process you are using  -

This  is great  on  an austenetic  material with TIG   but  watch out  on  steel  with mig
Parent - By TheSavvy1 (**) Date 08-19-2008 01:27
Thanks,

I was unsure about using the mix gas and adding the filler material in a TIG app. I had never scene embriddlement welding stainless just thought I would ask the pro's.
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 08-19-2008 22:16
Is that 5% hydrogen or did you mean to say  helium?

Griff
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hydrogen embrittlement