Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ER309LMo unable to meet SFA 5.9?
- - By dazwelding Date 08-15-2008 15:13
We have had a customer specify the use of ER309LMo for GMAW Pulse.  The manufacturer sent an unsigned certificate of analysis with the ER309LMo, which was only typicals.  We require all our certificates of analysis to be signed, so we request the manufacturer to fax us a signed cert.  In the meantime we started welding some test plates with the ER309LMo.  The weld ability of the ER309LMo was unacceptable.  Later in the day we received the signed cert with actuals and to our surprise the ER309LMo did not meet SFA 5.9. 

After further research we have been unable to find any manufacturer who will sell us ER309LMo with a signed certificate of analysis in accordance with SFA 5.9. 

We have since purchased a spool of E309LT1-1/LT1-4 which meets SFA 5.22, and the weld ability of it is excellent.  We have proposed the use of this filler metal to our customer.  However, they specified No Flux Core. 

What are your experiences with ER309LMo?
How can these manufactures sell filler metal called ER309LMo, when it in fact does not meet the chemical requirements of SFA 5.9?
Does anyone know of a manufacturer that does provide ER309LMo in accordance with SFA 5.9?  Is the weld ability acceptable?
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 08-15-2008 15:20
A quick search found this

http://www.avestawelding.com/3429.epibrw
Parent - - By dazwelding Date 08-15-2008 15:31
A quick search will only confirm my problem.  I have a signed Avesta ER309LMo certificate of analysis which states "Does not meet SFA 5.9" where it should say Meets the requirements of SFA 5.9.  We have contacted them and numerous other manufactures who all state they cannot meet SFA 5.9. 
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 08-15-2008 15:48
OK I had assumed that this company would be able to provide what you were looking for. I am not that familiar with this filler. I'm sure someone else will be able to give you an educated response. good luck
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 08-15-2008 16:03
Try the guys over at Euroweld. Roger sits on A5. If they don't have a Metrode product to meet the spec, at least they can tell you what is going on with the stuff.
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 08-17-2008 00:51
We have had to use an "ER309LMo Modified" because we haven't been able to find material meeting the AWS classification either.  The one we are using seems to weld fine though- mostly on sheet metal.  GMAW pulsed.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ER309LMo unable to meet SFA 5.9?