Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / stick welding
- - By das jenjamin Date 08-15-2008 18:46
Hi everyone-
One of my instructors at UTI was cool enough to give me a crash course introduction to stick welding after school one day ( a course NOT taught at the school) I did fairly decent for it being my first time (save for a few minor mishaps) It very much enjoyed it and would like to get a stick welder to get some more practice in.
Can anyone reccomend a good brand of welder to invest in for stick welding. I am very much the novice, so as always, ANY information/advice is always welcome :)

Thanks so much-

jennifer
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 08-15-2008 20:35
Hello Jennifer, it is likely that you have access to craigslist or ebay so you might consider getting on there to check out some of the possibilities. Otherwise check the classifieds in your local paper or if you have a publication in your area called "the nickel ads" check there. Now, as to machine type, budget is certainly a consideration, AC/DC machines are probably a bit more versatile and desirable when you're considering a stick welder, yet they are generally also a bit more pricey. Lincoln makes a couple of choices for the home or hobbyist, one is the AC225, as the name implies this is an AC only welder, it is also generally fairly inexpensive and almost indestructable and will serve the purpose. Miller makes a couple of choices that are right in line with the Lincoln machine, I believe they go by the name of Miller Thunderbolt. Hobart also has some choices for these types of AC only machines. Next step up would probably be the bigger brother to all of these and would include DC current as well as the AC. In most cases the AC side of these machines will be rated higher and the DC side will be slightly lower. Memory doesn't serve me very well all the time so I could be off slightly with some of this information. I believe the AC/DC version of the Lincoln machine is rated for 250 amps AC and roughly 130 amps DC. The other brands are probably similarly rated and equipped. I intentionally didn't include the Harbor Freight machines and other off-brands simply because I am not that familar with them and I also don't know that parts for repair of them might be so readily available. Look for comments by others to cover the many other aspects of your question and enjoy your new-found passion. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 08-15-2008 20:39
Miller
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-16-2008 13:12 Edited 08-16-2008 13:17
Hello Jennifer,

For around the home use and practice, the imported machines may be a good deal. If you have the money to spend, get a Miller Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC or Lincoln AC/DC 225. The DC option will increase the price but will also increase the capabilities.

With DC you have the ability to TIG (GTAW) weld should you ever get the urge.

I have 3 imported DC inverters. One from harbor freight ($149.00 ish) that is limited to 80 amps. One from "ARC ONE" that was sold as a tig machine ($250.00 ish) and one that is from an importer that I recently got thinking that it couldn't weld an 1/8" 7018 at 60% duty cycle at 140 amps (<$200.00) .  All of the above machines are inverters and more efficient than transformer type machine.

With the imports, I think it is hit and miss on the quality. If they work, they work as advertised, if they don't you are at the mercy of the quality of service from the importer.

The machine I received from the importer was a good deal for me as I traded out reviewing it (still in progress) for a good deal on the machine.  Though I haven't fully tested it. I would pay every bit of the retail cost for it.

There are some advantages to getting a name brand machine and if you think you are going to use it much, saving the $ is possibly a good idea.

The characteristics of an industrial machine and a "home use" type machne may vary however anything that melts a rod will help you develop hand eye coordination.

Here are welds made with the <$200.00 import machine. http://weldingdata.com/WelderReviews/longevity/7018filletweld/7018filletweld.html

All you "golden arms" be gentle with my welds. I sit behind a desk most of the day since january and still haven't calibrated my bifocals for welding.

I also have pices of weld made with one of the small 80 amp inverters. http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com/Dragster80Pics.htm . They are pushed to the limit with a 3/32" electrode but do fine with smaller sizes.
Hope this helps. There may be a great deal of information forthcoming regarding global economy and the like. Its over my head.

Gerald Austin
www.weldingdata.com
Parent - - By hillbilly (**) Date 08-17-2008 00:38
I'd invest in a "tombstone" off of craigslist or equivalent used sales forum. I'd see if I could scratch up an AC/DC model, but wouldn't get hung up on having to have one. I see these come up for sell, local to me, alot times from a $75 to $200 alot of times including a hood, gloves and a 3/4 full box of rods. When you get ready to upgrade alot times you'll get a 100% return on your purchase price, due to someone else in your present shoes.

Hillbilly
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-17-2008 01:51
Watch local auctions too. Not just industrial equipment but estate auctions etc..

Many times the welders are sitting in someones garage. Been there 20 years. The transformers don't care.
Parent - By medicinehawk01 (**) Date 08-19-2008 02:44
Hi Jen,
Miller has a 200 DC inverter welder which can be run off 110 power. I think they run about $800-1100 depending on what features you want with that machine. I used them all the time on various jobs with the only limitation is that they draw alot of current so even though the are rated for 200 amps (Max) you really cannot use much over 120 amps, but that IS enough to burn 3/32" 7018 provided you don't extend the duty cycle. It is also an excellant power supply for GTAW. They also have the ability to run off a 220 cicuit where you would have no problem burning larger diameter electrodes.
Be well,
hawk
Parent - - By jeff parker (**) Date 08-21-2008 02:30
befor you buy a welder you need to ask your self. am I going to want to weld just around the house, or am I going to try to make a career out of welding. a little AC  lincoln machine would be good enough for around the house and to practice alittle bit but if you want to realy learn how and to get good enough to do it for a living then get you a good lincoln or miller DC machine only and let the good times role good luck.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-24-2008 21:53
I agree with jeff, what do you want to do, piddle or weld? I bought a miller thunderbolt back in 1998 or 1999 and it's still alive and well around my house, very good little ac/dc welder. the lincoln ac machines can be found in just about every farm shop in America. I've been to a bunch of farms and the one thing that is most common, a lincoln ac welder.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / stick welding