Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / another tig coolant question
- - By El Cazador (*) Date 08-17-2008 15:15
I'm just a hobby welder.  Putting together components for a tig cooler and have just about everything I need.  My question is, is plain water sufficient or is a solution of some kind preferable for use in the cooler?

Vic

(Hmmm, now that I think of it, I hope I haven't posted this question before and forgotten about it.  :-)  Sorry if this is a repeat.  If so, I blame it on being too busy with too many projects, but at least I searched this forum before posting.)
Parent - By CLaytonACARTER (*) Date 08-17-2008 16:22
Just plain water if it is a water cool tig rig.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 08-17-2008 17:17
Hello El Cazador, you can get by with plain water, however you can run the risk of long-term corrosion issues depending upon the materials that make up your cooling system. Some folks will use soluble oil, others will use the coolant additives that are manufactured for this purpose. It all depends on how you look at the benefits/detractions of the additional cost that can be involved. Many of the additives that are made specifically for this purpose will also have algae inhibitors, electrolysis inhibitors, and other additives that will prolong the life of your system. You can pretty much make the call for yourself. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-17-2008 18:24
The stuff sold by Miller and Lincoln for closed system coolers is glycol (anti-freeze) with the special anti alge and anti ionization elements.  They are nice for a number of reasons but as mentioned, water or plain old anti-freeze from the auto parts store will do just fine for a hobbiest.
Parent - - By El Cazador (*) Date 08-18-2008 00:18
Thanks a lot.  I tend to be cautious when it comes to machine upkeep so I think I'll get the Miller stuff and follow directions.
Vic
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-18-2008 03:32
      When a friend set up His TIG machine He used tap water. The machine was in an unheated section of a building, and at some point in the following winter the water froze. This distorted the pump housing enough that the pump turned too hard for the motor to turn it. He kept his mouth shut about the tap water, and the pump was replaced under waranty. He used antifreze after that.
Parent - By TheSavvy1 (**) Date 08-19-2008 02:03
Unsure if there is any internal filter. But if you go the antifreeze rout overtime it tends gum up on you and restrict the flow. Possibly causing damage to your power supply.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 08-19-2008 02:07
Best off to go with the Miller coolant. The automotive stuff can be corrosive to certain metals. I always spent the money & never had an issue with the Miller coolant. I have, however, replaced a lot of Procon pumps that had automotive anti freeze running in them. S.W.
Parent - - By EVWELDER (**) Date 08-19-2008 02:53
I have tig welded for 11 years and we always used window cleaner from the auto parts store only like a $1 a gallon never seemed to have problems. One gallon of window cleaner and the  rest r/o water and never had problems with clogging up.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 08-19-2008 03:40
Sweet! I never heard of that. Makes sense though. It doesn't usually freeze up & stays on the window in hot weather. I'll keep it in mind!! Thanks! S.W.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / another tig coolant question