Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding AISI 4130 Mudpipe (Riser)
- - By Jan Jensen Date 08-19-2008 15:43
Hello all expert's
I'm new in this forum !

Could anyone give some advises may be post me an approved PQR as an example for the welding of AISI 4130 butt weld diameter 6" x 1" wall thickness.
I Know it is very difficult to meet requirements to NACE max. 248 HV10 or 22 Rockwell C.
Will it be possible to weld with Process FCAW ? Will it be possible get sufficient heatinput using proces FCAW ?
Is it necessary with TTC diagrams for determination of the cooling time T8/500 ?
In additinal I must weld API 5 L X52 same thickness and diameter together with the AISI 4130 in that case I know the AISI 4130 is the worst.
I have consider to weld the 3 first passes with process GTAW and continued with FCAW.

What type of filler do you suggest all passes GTAW and FCAW ?

All Answers appreciated ! Sorry my bad English !

Best regards
Jan Jensen
Denmark
Email: jje@dsc-as.dk
WWW.dsc-as.dk 
Parent - By 1fastguy (**) Date 08-26-2008 15:47
Although there are several good filler materials, ER80S-D2, is one you should consider. This filler material is capable of producing welds that approximate the strength of 4130. ER-70S-2 is an acceptable alternative to ER80S-D2, as is ER70S-6, although the weld strength will be slightly lower.
Dont forget that 1" thick plate typically require the normal 300ºF to 400ºF pre-heat to obtain acceptable results. I would stay with 98/2 gas in spray transfer mode with .045-.062 wire for GMAW.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding AISI 4130 Mudpipe (Riser)