Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 7018/7016 rootpass trouble
- - By nasty22 Date 08-20-2008 01:13
I have been practicing alot, but I reluctantly took the test before I was ready. I failed. I will not accept defeat,so I call on fellow welders for help. I have tried all gaps to no gap and feathered, and diff rods(7018)and diff landings. I was told by some welders that I know that it was my machine. I have heard all this stuff about how you can't use a Miller Bobcat 250 on pipelines. I had to buy a new machine in order to be able to get the money from the bank, and this was all I could afford. I have been told by several that an old lincoln machine would give me a better chance. Is this true? Are the 7016s that much easier? Where can I get some shipped to Texas, preferrably the Kobe everyone keeps talking about?Thanks, If I can pass this test, I will have the job of a lifetime for me.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 08-20-2008 01:53
Any Airgas should be able to get you 5 pound sleeves of 7016. THe 7016 was designed for open root wedling. Switch to 7018 for fill and cap.
You need a land as wide as your rod. A 3/32 rod, a 3/32 land. The gap needs to be a little bigger than the rod w/o flux. 3/32 rod,3/32 land an a little larger than 3/32 for the gap. Same if you are using 1/8.
On schedule 80 with a SA200 in 130 range start at 40 working up and down 5 until you find the "Spot"
in 190 start on 30 and you will probably need to work up. I have seen these run at 130 and 65 and 130 and 35 also 190 and 40 and 190 and 60. It depends on the machine and the welder.
I have not tested anyone on a Bobcat, but I would be sure the company would let you use it before you tested.
When you get your heat set in the "Spot" the 7016 will almost run itself. Run it like a caulking gun. There should be minimal pressure against the rod vs. a push on DH or UH6010.
Some guys like a little side to side motion but it is very slight and it is almost like walking the cup on tig but a much more subtle.
Once you get this feel and setting on your machine, it has a unique sound just like a DH bead has it's own sound. I can tell by the sound if a LH bead is going to work.
If you have pleanty of gap, tying into the tacks will be no problem. On the tack, where you start get a good feather and jut hit the other end. You want to be able to lay the metal on the bead as you cross the tack.
Keep your hand down on the rod holder and dont have your fingers up around the rod. Relax and keep a light touch on the rod holder.
This is mental.
BABRT's
Parent - - By Trevor Carson Date 09-02-2008 11:20
Dbigkahunna, what exactly are the figures - 190 and 40 and 190 and 60 you were talking about?
coarse and fine amp settings??
Trev
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 09-02-2008 14:31
On a SA 200 you have 130, 190 and 240 course settings with 0 to 100 fine setting
Different manufacturers have different settings but I am familliar with the SA series and it seems most pipeline welders have SA machines.
BABRRT's
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 08-20-2008 12:46
The KOBE 7016 works very well, but you will still need to know the whole concept of running a Lo Hy root in.  Practice with a 3/32" land and an 1/8" gap and run it pretty cold somewhere around 75 amps for the most consistent roots. Problem with running a tighter gap is, one little boble and you won't break down your root face and you'll have straight lines show up on x-ray.  With a tight gap It will look like you got the penn you needed, but the root face didn't actually reak down.  Don't get me wrong, you can do that with the right setup and if know what your looking, but for you a bigger gap will be more consistent.  Keep the rod almost 90 deg to pipe at all times and tip it back into a push angle if you penn is going through to easy or if it's looking like your gonna blow through.  You should barely be able to see the arc on the outside of the pipe.  You want to be able to see the arc from the front side, so move your head where you can see what the front of the rod and sides are doing.  No keyholing, so really watch your sides to see if they are looking like they are getting ready to keyhole.  There is a really fine line here and this is where the experience kicks in.  If the side are looking like they are going to keyhole, you can put the rod into a push angle to try and save it, but if that doesn't work, pull out and turn the machine down.  Hope this helps ya alittle bit.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 7018/7016 rootpass trouble