Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hottest carbon steel can be welded on?
- - By uknow Date 08-20-2008 11:50
I'm wondering what it the hottest catbon steel can be welded. Example: Welding an 2"X2"X1/4" or 3/8" thick angle to sheet metal 1/4" to 3/8" thick. Welding is needed at 750 deg. steady temp. Can you give me a place to look? Any idea?
Parent - - By 3.1 Inspector Date 08-20-2008 13:31
Depending on your code of construction, method of welding, pressure system, etc, etc...
In theory you can weld as hot as you like(before it melts)
But you might want to take a look at your interpass temperature, again it depends on code, method and such things.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 08-20-2008 13:47
I would ask why it is necessary to weld on it that hot. 3.1 is right.
There isnt any inherent problem to welding on it that hot depending upon service, desired mechanicals, etc. But if your welding on something hot because its still being used in service be careful of pressure boundaries and the reduction in allowable stresses.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 08-20-2008 18:20
A curious question: will the welder's hand, located at a few centimeters from the hot metal, withstand the high temperature?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By jeff parker (**) Date 08-21-2008 02:19
why would cs need to be heated that hot for welding. I weld p91 but it is only 475 so I am interested on why the carbon steel you are welding on needs to be preheated that hot anyway. I have welded on some heavy wall carbon befor and the hotest that it needed to be was 175 so whats up with that temp you are talking about.
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 08-21-2008 13:04
Good points jeff!
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 08-21-2008 22:04
I'm not sure how things work in brazil but up here we use gloves. (hopefully no offense :) )

all jokes aside I'm curious to about what the need is for such a high preheat or interpass?
could simply be a time thing or the service environment of the part.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 08-21-2008 22:16
Are you looking at welding on a unit in service?
Is it steam or hot hydrocarbon?
Depending on the material you may be limited to 800 degrees service temp.
The limiting factor will not be the temp of the metal, but the willingness of the Shield Arc expert to weld in such a hot temp. You get into safety factors when you expose workers to temps above 130 degrees f over 10 minutes. Many companies will not allow work in any area where the temp exceeds 150 degrees f
BABRt's
Parent - - By scrappywelds (***) Date 08-21-2008 22:39
worked on a main steam header on the last outage, preheat at 450 constant. All of the welders wanted to die. Heat exaustion and stroke are very likely at extended exposure. That being said, I had to do some intenal crack repairs on the ends of the existing header to make it to the next outage to be replaced at arms lenght inside with TIG gloves and stick gloves over them blistered my knuckles within 4 rods. After that we used TIG gloves, stick gloves, a cool pad, and leather sleeves. Very hot and exhausting, so please be very carefull, I will have the scars for the rest of my life. A constant reminder to watch out and think ahead. Keep your welders in the proper PPE, hydrated, and rotate to a cool place or cooler than where they are welding if prolong exposure is needed.
Parent - - By 3.1 Inspector Date 08-21-2008 22:49
Sounds to me like its just a normal preheat(maintained with heating belts), however, I am most likely wrong.
To the best of my knowlede, its done every day, worldwide.

Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 08-22-2008 02:43
some of our welders weld inside of delta body's, 500F preheat, and then have to sit inside of one to weld, they have aircooled vests to keep the body temperature down.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 08-22-2008 17:40
Metarinka,
just leather gloves aren't sufficient to protect skin when it's at a few centimeters from a surface that hot.
Once upon a time there were asbestos gloves and aprons, but afterwards they invented that asbestos produces cancer and it's been condemned.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 08-22-2008 20:13
this is true I still have a pair of asbestos lined gloves, and I've welded in some hot situations before and have the burns to proove it, a lot depends on the process and how close your hands are to the radiated heat from welding and base metal.

It was a light hearted joke though
Parent - - By john.iitd Date 08-24-2008 07:05
Welding at that temperature may not be really recommended in service as the member is mostly likely to be under stress (Pressure or structural). First, find out if your heating the metal excess to its' melting point during welding leaves you with adequate yield stress around the joint to take the existing stresses. Looking at your post, looks like its a non-pressure application and just structural additions, so you may not need to worry about that much, still, at that high temperature, your cooling rate is greatly reduced, leading to a much weaker weld metal and HAZ. You may not get your desired weld metal properties at the end of it!
Parent - By uknow Date 08-26-2008 12:09
Thanks guys for all your help and answers. It is going to stay in-service but pressure is only 55 psig. Temperary fix overlaying exterior casing for extra precaution is all. Hazardous material isn't an issue either. I didn't believe that it would be a problem. A little re-assurance is fine, Thanks again to all.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hottest carbon steel can be welded on?