Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Bracing for a Hurricane
- - By OBEWAN (***) Date 08-20-2008 15:20
We are waiting anxiously for the tropical storm/hurricane to arrive. We expect it by Thursday afternoon.

My worries center around losing the chicken in my frig and my time at work.

Last time Jacksonville was hit hard, there was no power for 5 or 6 days. That means no work.  The rumor here is that they may force
us to take vacation time.  I suppose things could be worse.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 08-20-2008 15:38
Force you to take vacation?
What a lousy thing to do.
I think the storm itself is a bit of a woos, and certainly a disappointment to excited and centerstage meteorologists everywhere who had been shouting 'could be, could be, could be', for a week (this coming from a Gulf Coast resident who has grown quite weary of the panic mongering everytime something stirs off the coast of Africa-and having watched close up the underreaction of Katrina and the overreaction of Rita), but the peripheral tornadoes are no joke and can be quite deadly.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 08-20-2008 20:04
i was in florida in 04 when ivan and all the other hit it was total destruction i felt so sorry for those people it was hard as hell to find motel rooms moving from 1 room to another night after night this went on for 6 weeks and that was enuff for me i came home
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 08-20-2008 20:15
I got my job here in 2004.  I flew down on the company dole on the first jet into Jacksonville the day after the hurricane hit.  I came to rent my apartment and did not even know about the hurricane.  All I heard and saw were chainsaws.  Most of the apartment rental offices were closed for 2 days at least. Finally, I found one that was open and rented the first one I saw. I mostly ignore the hurricane warnings, but now I have a brand new condo and brand new car, so I try to stay away from falling trees.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 08-20-2008 20:54
Good luck Steve, they (Hurricanes) are not much fun as a rule but we always try to make the best of it.

A few years ago Katrina was headed our way (Houston) and we ran (more like crawled) (18 hours to go 150 miles) to a camp ground further north and had a great time of it while Katrina did not come close (to our house). Last month we shut the shop down for (can't remember her name) and it turned out to be one heck of a pleasant day around my area.

Don't know how much longer our luck will hold out but I hope you all get some good luck there.

I have some good friends who work at our Jacksonville facility and we are wishing you all good luck.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 08-21-2008 04:17
"Good luck Steve, they (Hurricanes) are not much fun as a rule but we always try to make the best of it. "
I seen that one guy trying to make the best of it kite surfing.  Ouch! LOL
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-21-2008 04:43
That guy with the kite board made the news up here in Pa. Darn fool should have left go!
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-21-2008 03:26
    Do You have a "Hurricane Blender"? That is a blender powered by a weedeater engine so that You can have frozen blender drinks at the hurricane party after the power goes off. Be sure everything is boarded up before the party starts...
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 08-21-2008 11:50
Good luck Steve!

I'll cross my fingers for you!
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Bracing for a Hurricane