Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 Temperature Reduction for CVNs
- - By SDK86 Date 08-20-2008 19:41
I am qualifying a welding procedure to AWS D1.1 and impact testing is required. The plate is 6.32mm thick and 10x5 CVNs were removed. I am getting differing opinions on what the temperature the test should be done at. The procedure needs to be qualified to -10°f, some are saying that the reduction should be calculated the same as ASME Section VIII thus a test temp of -15°f some are saying that table 4.15 is to be read directly, indicating a test temp of -30°f.

Any help would be appreciated
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 08-21-2008 04:13
If you are impact testing per AWS D1.1, ASME Section VIII has no relavence whatsoever.  All I have handy is AWS D1.1:2002, where the CVN table in annex III calls for a 20F reduction in temp for a 10x5mm specimen.  So those proposing the -30F are correct assuming the table hasn't changed in the 2006 edition, or whichever edition you are working to.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 Temperature Reduction for CVNs