Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hood Filter Too Dark
- - By Beezer Date 09-23-2001 19:22
Using my Hobart Stick Welder I have no problem but whenever I use my Lincoln Mig I CAN'T SEE! Can someone suggest a good (lighter) filter to use?
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 09-28-2001 03:53
Don't feel bad. When I started mig welding I couldn't believe how little I could see.
My guess is that the smoke from stick reflects light back onto the work so yoiu can see the surounding area. The smoke also filters some of the light reaching your eyes so be real careful about going to a lighter filter. Most recomendations I have seen are to use a darker filter for mig than stick. I feel that if I keep the voltage up and the wire speed down a little the wire burns a little higher out of the crater and that helps a little. Keep a little gap between the pieces and you will be able to see it in the front of the crater. Good luck, you get used to it after a while.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 09-28-2001 12:40
Usually MIG welding is brighter than SMAW. As was mentioned a lighter filter may not be a good idea. Have you tried keeping your head a little to the side? You should be able to see the arc, wire, and the joint comfortably. If not, head position is the usual problem.
CHGuilford
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 09-28-2001 18:29
Take heed to Mr Guilfords words, there is a lot more in your line of view than just a skinny electrode.

Reposition your self for a better view, you have to find a way to see your puddle and still track the joint. Most people try to use the MIG gun like a pistol and sight down the barrel but it dosent work very well most of the time.
Parent - By sparkycanuck (*) Date 10-01-2001 00:13
Hi , Lincoln electric makes a filter lens called super visibility.I use a #10 or a #9 for the lighter work.I see considerably better with this lens.Hope this helps.
Parent - By - Date 10-03-2001 23:24
It's been my experience and my eyes that if I'm running SCT using 220 amps or less, a medium #9 works for me. I always jumped up to a #10 for SMAW and a #11 for FCAW.

There is an old "rule of thumb" I learned when I was just a pup and breaking into welding.- If after you run a bead regardless of the process and when you lift your hood if you have to blink more then once, you have the wrong number filter lens!
Parent - By Beezer Date 10-05-2001 11:10
Thank you to those who responded. I purchased a #8 and #9 filter. The #8 is too light as was said but the #9 seems to be just right.(It was a #10 that I had before.) Thank you again. (Still waiting on the auto-dimming units to drop in price a little more)
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hood Filter Too Dark