Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Re-PQRing a SMAW WPS: A couple of new Variables
- - By tom cooper (**) Date 08-20-2008 20:20
We are re-running some PQR's for SMAW pipe welding procedures (ASTM A53/A106, 8" Sch 160) for the sole purpose of documenting and allowing use of weaves intead of stringers.  We're using 7018 for root, fill & cap. 

Several of our machines have an arc force adjustment that few know about. What does arc force do and does this setting become an essential variable or affect any other essential variables? (applicable Codes will be ASME Section IX/ ASME B31.1 and Mil spec work).   If it is not essential, should a WPS address this arc control at all or should the welder be given free reign over arc contol to adjust as necessary?

While I am doing these re-PQR's I decided to record travel speed for heat input calcs. I know this isn't required for A106 pipe, but want to do this anyway for future reference. How do I do this on a weave?  I suppose I should be recording distance along the pipe circumference and time instead of total side-to-side back & forth travel? Thanks for any thoughts on this. 
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-21-2008 02:59
Hello Tom;

ASME and NAVSEA TP248 have a number of essential variables (or elements) that are the same and a few that are different. TP248 has a few more essential variables that have to be recorded than Section VIII.

You have to record the "actual values" of all essential variables on your PQR. You can, at your pleasure, record any additional information or data you feel is useful.

As for the question of what to record when doing weave beads, I always record the voltage, amperage, wire feed speed (if applicable), travel speed, thickness of layers, and width of individual weld beads. Per ASME Section IX, unless you are required to perform Charpy Impact testing, most of that data is not required, but I find it useful when it is time to write the WPS.

There are other things that I record to meet TP248 requirements and for my benefit. Things like the welding machine manufacturer, model number, serial number, if pulsing is used and it is a "canned program, I record it as well. Likewise, I typically record heat or lot numbers for the base metal and filler metal.

My field notes are recorded in an Excell spread sheet so that as I record the V, A, TS, etc (for each weld pass) the heat input is automatically recorded. Again, not because it is always required by the welding standard, but because I find it useful.  

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Uncle Chuckles (*) Date 08-21-2008 12:41
Tom,

I have recorded parameters for many procedures and how you described calculating your travel speed for a weave is exactly how I do it. Say for instance that your weld was 12 in long and the arc time was 1 min 45 sec the basic equation I use is 45sec/60sec=75   therefore 12in/1.75min = 6.9 inches per min, hope this helps

Charles
Parent - - By Fredspoppy (**) Date 08-21-2008 12:52
Tom,
Unless other variables change (essential or supplementary essential) a WPS does not have to be requalified to go from stringer to weave, or vice versa.  It is a non-essentail variable.  All you have to do is revise the WPS.  I would always recommend limiting weave width in your WPS, e.g., 2x electrode diameter for SMAW or 3/16" for GTAW, for example.  Travel speed should be recorded, as determined by calculation from distance along the pipe versus time to travel that distance, just as you noted above.

Al has addressed your other questions but in general you can include any and all items that help the welder make a quality weld, using your WPS.  Arc force is useful for SMAW in starting the weld.  A brief period of higher amperage at initial touching of the electrode to the workpiece aids in a smooth start of the welding arc.  This can be addressed on the WPS, and probably should be, but is not a variable that has to be documented.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 08-21-2008 13:10
Some of the WPS forms I've seen, including the sample form in D1.1, say stringer or weave bead ________ .  If that type of form was used and stringer was indicated, then you're limited to stringer.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 09-02-2008 22:41
If it's a non-essential variable change, then you need a new WPS but not a new PQR.

However, heat input is an essential variable.  If you weave, are you slowing down enough to increase your heat input?

Hg
Parent - By tom cooper (**) Date 08-21-2008 15:55
Thanks Fred-
for explaining arc force and so I can see now that it has no effect on an essential variable.

As far as weaves - part of what I am doing is trying to find out exactly how far we can go with the side to side excursions without risk of coming back into slag or carrying too much puddle, depending on position. All my WPS presently do state "stringer only" so I don't want to risk changing this w/o formal qual data.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Re-PQRing a SMAW WPS: A couple of new Variables