Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / DIN Welding Criteria and Certification
- - By 1fastguy (**) Date 08-21-2008 20:02
We are looking at doing some train componets for a german manufacture. I was asked in a meeting if we were certified to DIN. This is the german version of the AWS. I told them we were not. Does any one have any information on the DIN Welding Certification procedure, standards or code books? Any info would be helpful.
Parent - By 3.1 Inspector Date 08-21-2008 20:35 Edited 08-21-2008 21:47
DIN is .....Deutsche Industrie Norm.

To the very best of my understanding DIN does not qualify welders, etc...

They would have to be qualified according to EN 287, watch out for WPS, PQR, WQR, etc, and materials as the American way of doing things generally is non acceptable in europe.

Even though I reside very close to Germany I have very little experience in the German way of doing things so I might be wrong.

Parent - By Rick Hoople (*) Date 08-22-2008 01:54
Goog luck. I had the pleasure of doing work for the German rail a few years back, and yes, get a copy of EN287, you will most likely need more info than that though. Find out more from the costomer as to what you will all need to qualify. I had to get wire that's hard to get in the USA, (at least it was back then) it's "U mark" wire, and it's properties are controlled tighter then our best wires. I wish I still worked for the company that had that contract, I would be much more useful to you if I had the whole code in front of me. I'ts going to involve alot of reading on your part, and wait till you see the requirements on how the forms have to look. Once you get a handle on it though, it will make sence. Like I said, good luck.
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 08-22-2008 09:19
1fastguy,

just having 1 minute for the forum...

However, so far, it were my greatest pleasure to finally give back at least a little fraction of what I have already received by all of you, if I were able to help you further!

Perhaps I may help you due to... huh... well, I guess you know why. :-)

There was already an excellent response coming from Rick Hoople.

Different topics within the Forum according to EN/BS Codes were already treated over the time, so it's not that bad as it may appear on the first view.

DIN Codes have been transferred meanwhile into the European Codes (Europa Norm = EN). And they are trying right now to transfer those into the ISO Classifications.

However, DIN EN codes are available for welder qualification as well as for all other fields depending to our business.

Due to Codes are always relating to Copyright issues please drop me a PM - if you'd like - or state some more details on what you are intending to accomplish. Just as Rick already mentioned.

Then - I am sure - we could point you at least in the right direction of what is necessary to consider...

Hope to finding time to return to the forum later on.

Best regards,
Stephan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / DIN Welding Criteria and Certification