Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pipefitters book
- - By Trevor Carson Date 08-25-2008 10:01
Hi I was wondering what is the best all round (is there such a thing!!) pipefitters book to get a beginner started with?

Thanks Trev
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 08-25-2008 11:05
Trevor,

have a look upon:

#http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=98895;hl=

Regards,
Stephan
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 08-25-2008 12:48
i like the black book i'll have to ge tthe name for you there is a blue book but to me the black book is easier to understand
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 08-25-2008 15:19
There's one called Math for Pipefitters that has a lot of good math and layout formulas in it.  I think the author is John Hamilton but I'm not positive.  I don't know if my book is in storage or not.  I'll check and write in the author if it's not.  Also there are some cards called Chico's Pipefitting Cards with a lot of the more common formulas and stuff you will use every day.  If you can learn how to do all of the offsets on those correctly you'll be ahead of most of the so called "fitters" I see today.  It used to be you had to know more than how to put pipe in from point A to point B but there is such a labor shortage nowadays that most companies are pretty happy if a guy shows up most of the time it seems like!!!!  As an inspector I would dearly love to work for a company that would let me test fitters.  It sure would save them a lot of headaches in the long run.  I used to ask my "fitters" what half of 5/16ths was and you'd be suprised how many of them started to get out a pad and pencil or their calculator!!!  I would just go tell my foreman I needed another one. . .. .
Parent - - By millerman (**) Date 08-25-2008 22:52
shad let me know the name of that black book the blue is okay  but i have heard that the black is  really kid smart  LOL
THANKS
MAC
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 08-26-2008 04:43
i got mine form the gangbox.com i think they were 18 each i ordered blue and black both the blue book is for a college professor lol
Parent - By gawelder (**) Date 08-26-2008 00:15
I have got a black Pipe Fitter and Pipe Welder's Handbook from Thomas W. Franklin. It has a lot of formulas and reference tables in it. I use it a lot for laying out pipe runs  or building tanks. It has a lot of useful information in it.
   The web address is: www.pipefitter.com or their Phone number is 1-800-462-6487.
                                                                                         Hope this helps!
                                                                                                     gawelder
Parent - By Iron Head 49 (***) Date 08-26-2008 01:23
Here is a pretty good start.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pipefitters book