Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Galvanizing
- - By gammaman1 Date 08-25-2008 21:24
Hi all:

I know this isn't technically a welding question, but I can't find a answer anywhere.  I am in a shop as an SQR, and the vendor swears the steel shrinks a little (2-3 mm) as a result of galvanizing.  Anybody ever heard of this?
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 08-25-2008 21:36
yes, but the 2-3 mm is made up for in the addition of a coating.
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 08-26-2008 19:24
Would the coating thickness be at least 78 mils if 2 mm was made up for?
Parent - - By bmaas1 (***) Date 08-26-2008 19:29
The material will shrink by up to this amount?  99% of everything we manufacture gets galvanized and I haven't really noticed.  Is there any documentation that addresses this?

Brian
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 08-26-2008 19:43
when ive inspected Galv ( each state is different ) the range of dft can be from 6.0 to 12.0 mils.
for zinc thermal spray 6.0 to 8.0 but never over 18.0 mils depending on service.
I would Not pay to have that much material replaced with galv.
At one point we would blast all of our steel to a near white finish with a surface profile of around 2-4
then send it for galvy the cost was much more because of the xtra mat.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 08-26-2008 21:03
sorry I was being sarcastic.
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 08-26-2008 18:30
I'm curious, is this job done to a spec?
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 08-26-2008 19:12
ASTM A123
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 08-26-2008 20:39
The way I understand gammaman's question is that the steel "shrinks", i.e., it gets smaller, or to put it in another way, it diminishes its size, by 2-3 mm as a result of galvanizing. He doesn't say that the steel surface preparation eats away 2-3 mm. What he says is that the steel is 2-3 mm smaller because the galvanizing process has done that.
First of all, gammaman doesn't mention what kind of steel he's talking about: pipe? plate? shapes? cable? All of them may be galvanized according to the application they were designed to . 
Secondly, he doesn't mention what the original dimensions were: were the 2-3 mm eaten away from a piece of pipe 30 feet long? Or was it a 2 inches long nipple?
That said, this is the first time I heard that a piece of steel shrinks due to galvanizing. There's nothing in the galvanizing process that could produce that result. In the eletrolytic process, a D.C. current flows from the zinc anode to the piece acting as the cathod. As a result, the zinc is dissolved and deposited onto the piece. In the hot dip process, the piece is submerged into a bath of molten zinc. As a result, the zinc in contact with the colder piece solidifies and sticks onto the surface.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil 

Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-27-2008 02:11
    Steel is soluable in molten zink, so in theory a part left in the molten zink long enough would have some of the parent metal disolved off of it, and be smaller. Between surface preperation and disolved material, there could be a measurable difference, but I think mils [thousanths of an inch] not millimeters.
Parent - - By michael kniolek (***) Date 08-27-2008 02:32
when a plate is bead blasted to Nearwhite finish the surface prep dip before the hot dip can be many hours shorter, if the plate still has millscale on it the prep time is much longer (the angular profile produced during surface prep is the only material removal i know of but this is only in the mils). I have found plate machined to dimention always comes back larger when measured due to the coating thickness.Shrinking of material is something ive never heard of.
I have seen plate wellded together (without a vent hole) Blow apart in the tank.
Parent - By Bob Garner (***) Date 08-27-2008 20:06
Just sittin' here eatin' my lunch with my copy of ASTM A123 open in front of me (hey, I am an engineer, whadya expect?).  For what it's worth, nowhere in A123 does in mention shrinkage of steel from galvanizing.  They have ranges on everything else, but nada on the shrinkage.

Bob G.
Parent - - By gammaman1 Date 09-01-2008 04:52
Hi, gammaman1 here again.  OK, the steel is structural steel, mild carbon, JIS SS400, but still basically carbon steel.  The vendor says is shrinks in length, I say they cut too long (2-3 mm over) and this they say is to compensate for shrinkage due to hot dip galvanize.  I have been all over the net and can find nothing on this.

So Giovanni has got it, I think, and thanks to all for your comments.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-02-2008 04:03
How long are the parts? I would be interested to hear if the parts actually do shrink or not.
Parent - - By vagabond (***) Date 09-02-2008 04:17 Edited 09-02-2008 04:22
I really, really, really. . . . . . . . really don't think galvanizing shrinks steel anymore than I think RT releases isotopes or whatever into the atmosphere!!!!  I just couldn't resist. . . . .
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-02-2008 04:25
  When heat treating tool steel, the parts usually grow a few thousanths of an inch from the process. If overheated some tool steels can actually shrink. Galvanizing temperature is below critical, so I wouldn't expect a dimensional change from galvanizing either.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-03-2008 00:48
FWIW, the galvanizing bath is around 850*F to keep the zinc molten when dipping the cooler mass into the bath.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Galvanizing