Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Flare Bevel Radius Measurment
- - By eekpod (****) Date 08-26-2008 18:57
I've been reading back through previous posts on the Flare bevel groove weld, and Flare V groove joints, and to be honest, I've gotten myself more mixed up that straightened out.

D1.1, 2006 pg 80, BTC-P10-GF, the weld size (E)  has 5/8r.  Does that mean the weld size should be 5/8 times the actual raduis of the part? or is the weld size 5/8?

How does one go about figuring out the radius of the tube? trace it on a paper and measure it out? 

I have a 8" x 6" x 1/2 rectangular tube with a 3"x3" angle sitting flush against one face of the tube, it calls for a 1/4" weld size on the drawing.

Thanks Chris
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 08-26-2008 19:37
that would be Radius X 5/8 (or radius X .625) the tube manufacturer should have specs on the tube radius, or you can get some radius gauges or sketch it.

I may have seen somewhere where the radius of the tube should be 2 times the wall thickness but don't qoute me on that!

hope that helps!
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 08-26-2008 21:12 Edited 08-26-2008 21:55
look at 2.3.1.4 (06) It answers your question specifically

dam dyslexia
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 08-26-2008 21:20
2.3.4.1 addresses diameter and width limitatations for holes and slots, unless I read the 1st post wrong, poster is trying to address the outside corner of a HSS and the radius and weld size involved there!
Parent - - By Bob Garner (***) Date 08-27-2008 19:51
I think you would have to measure the radius of the actual tubing you are welding.  HSS shapes are produced to ASTM A500.  This spec specifies "the radius of each outside corner shall not exceed three times the nominal wall thickness specified" (Sec. 10.6).  But wait!  Table 3 of ASTM A500 specifies outside dimension tolerances by specifying the "Large flat dimension tolerance", plus and minus as:  0.020" for flat dimensions of 2 1/2" or less, 0.025" for flat dimensions of 2 1/2" to 3 1/2", 0.030" for flat dimensions of 3 1/2" to 5 1/2" and 0.01 x large flat dimension over 5 1/2".

So there can be some variation in ourtside radius right from the mill and I think you would have to just measure whatcha got.

Bob G.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 08-29-2008 02:17
my head hurts just reading all this, why does it have to be so complicated. 
Parent - By ravi theCobra (**) Date 09-04-2008 15:42
This  is  complex work  N O T   FOR   THE   FEEBLE   MINDED   !

Just  think   -  you could  have  become  an  accountant  -
Parent - - By Goose-em (**) Date 09-20-2008 03:19
Maybe I can simplify, maybe not?

The outside radius on a 1/2 wall steel tube will be 3/4 inch.  You cn measure this with a radius gauge.

D1.1 does state weld size 5/8*R so that gives you a minimum weld size of .46 or 5/16 for a prequalified weld.

If the weld size is 1/4 inch as you say, remember weld size for a groove weld is specified within parentheses, and the weld size has been specified by an engineer this means the weld is not prequalified and must be qualified by test.

The other option is to ask the engineer, who probably doesn't know anything about weldment design, to increase the weld size on the print.  Of course by doing this you increase the cost of that weld exponetially.

I am assuming you understand that weld size for this type of weld is depth of penetration and not the width of the weld face.

Hope this helps.
Parent - By Bob Garner (***) Date 09-29-2008 17:45
Goose-em

I'm that engineer that's learnin' 'bout weldments.  Under D1.1, 2006, a BTC-P10 joint and a B-P10-S joint is prequalified for a 5/16" x r  size weld which is 0.23" and therefore prequalified for 1/4"?

Thanks.

Bob Garner
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 09-21-2008 00:24
If you were to fill a flare bevel groove flush to the top and cut a cross section out of it, you would see that the weld did not penetrate clear to the bottom of the joint (where the radius tangent meets the plate at the root).  So you cannot say the weld size is the distance from the top surface to the tangent point - it is a lesser dimension. 
The 5/8r means that if you fill the joint flush, the size, or throat, can be assumed to be equal to whatever the corner radius is multiplied by 5 and divided by 8 (same as .625 times the radius).

This does not mean you have to fill every joint flush, or that you have to provide that particular weld size.  It simply means that if you fill the joint flush, that's how you determine the size you have.

If a smaller weld size is required -less than flush- it would be a good idea to weld a mock-up joint and cross section it so you can determine the actual throat. 

And be careful,  the ratio for SMAW, FCAW-S, and SAW is 5/16r - not 5/8r.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Flare Bevel Radius Measurment