Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / ELECTRODE STORAGE
- - By jerrykroll (**) Date 08-27-2008 00:26
D1.1 states once "low-hydrogen" electrodes have been opened...... they must be stored at 250d F.

My question is -

Can they immediately be returned instead to to a sealed container, such as the available plastic tubes with o-ring/airtight (hermetic) seal ?

I'm even thinking that a dessicant (silica gel packet) and traceable moisture indicator could be put into the container.

Any thought or comments on this ?
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 08-27-2008 02:56 Edited 08-27-2008 20:24
Jerry, D1.1 2006 5.3.2.2 Approved Atmospheric Time Periods.

After hermetically sealed containers are opened or after electrodes are removed from baking or storage ovens, the electrode exposure to the atmosphere shall not exceed the values shown in column A, Table 5.1.....

Table 5.1 Column A gives a range from 4-9 hours, depending on the electrode, that the rods can be out of the sealed container or the oven.

Yes, they can be put in a sealed container or a rod pouch, metal pail, etc., as long as they don't exceed the times listed in Table 5.1. There are weather and humidity conditions to comply with in 5.3.2.3 and Annex F.

The o-ring tube or other container (air tight or not) cannot replace the 250F storage requirement.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-28-2008 20:01 Edited 08-28-2008 20:20
This post brings me back to our conversation about the baby oil and diffusible hydrogen.

I ran into a problem on a job site just before I headed down to Alexandria, VA this week. The welders were using E7018 and I suspected they didn't have a "hot box" on the job the day before when most of the welding was performed. I asked for a few of the electrodes they were using, which they withdrew from the newly acquired "hot box" and had them run a couple of beads on a piece of backing bar. Even though the rods had been in the electrode oven for several hours, it wasn't hot enough to recondition the electrodes. They bubbled profusely. The welders jaws dropped and they couldn't take their eyes of the beaker containing the baby oil and welded samples.

It was Saturday, so they couldn't find a welding supplier that was opened. They purchased a couple of 5 pounders from "Home Depot". You know, the electrodes come in cardboard boxes with  plastic wrapper. I told them the new electrodes would not pass the test either because the wrappers will not keep moisture out. We made a couple of additional samples and placed them in the oil. Believe it or not, one of the two samples produced more bubbles than the old rod that had been placed in the hot box!

Now for a few more details, I knew the E7018 was originally stored in open containers in the welder's tool box, so I knew the rod in the "hot box" was not fresh. I knew they didn't have a "hot box" on the job before I was scheduled to be on the job. I had a telephone call that filled me in on the details and that was the reason I was asked to come to the job site. The EOR that had been on site saw them taking rods from the tool box on the  truck and asked them where the hot box was. He asked me if there was a test I could perform that would demonstrate the rods were either "good" or "bad". The baby oil works every time.

I know that several of you tried this experiment the last time the subject came up, but it works for me every time. Bear in mind that these electrodes were the garden variety of E7018, not E7018-H4R.

The "mushroom cloud" is the hydrogen escaping from one sample taken from the hot box after about four minutes in the oil and the other photo is a sample taken from the card board container after several minutes in the oil. The photos aren't the best, but they were not "staged" for taking photos.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 08-29-2008 02:40
Al, I recently performed the baby oil test for our crew and had a few bubbles with rods laying in our shop.
it wasn't dramatic enough so the next day I used some rods that were left outside for a day. It looked like the Lawrence Welk show. (lots of bubbles)
Would have posted pics but I couldn't figure out how to turn off the flash. Can't find manual.

The test was very definitive the second time.

It was good to show the guys that there is more to making a quality weld than depositing metal and chipping slag. All the fuss I make about proper rod control now seems to matter to them.

Thanks for the test idea and info.
Parent - - By flamin (**) Date 08-29-2008 12:17
I have never heard of doing this. Sounds interesting, now I am going to have to go try this too.

Jason
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 08-29-2008 13:38
I still can't believe in this day and age that the rod manufactures can't come up with a SMAW low hydrogen rod that doesn't need to be stored in an oven.  Continuous power at construction job sites is spotty, portable crews travelling from site to site with rods in their trucks with no power in between, there has to be a better way.  It's not like to rod manufacturer makes the rod ovens either, so they don't get extra $$ requiring the ovens.
Chris
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 08-30-2008 01:02
http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=61032

This is the thread that Al was referring to. Very interesting.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-02-2008 16:48
Yup, I remember that thread...
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-10-2008 11:01
Who is Lawrence Welk?

Al :)
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 09-10-2008 13:10
He's the guy who used to drive through McDonalds and say "I'll have ah-one, ah-two, ah one, two, three, four cheeseburgers please".  Wunnerful, wunnerful. 
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 09-10-2008 17:15
The smiley face is an age indicator.

Anybody out there know how to post a video?
I made a video of this along with some pics but the video file was too large. 10000000 bytes is the limit and my video is 22000000.
Any way to compress it to 10000000 or another solution?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-10-2008 17:56
Tim,
Youtube will host the vid for you, but you have to sign up (it's free).....they will compress it to be within their limits though, so it may lose some quality.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 09-11-2008 01:28 Edited 09-16-2008 01:25
Thanks for that info John. I knew there had to be a way. I tried to post a pic today of the hydrogen diffusion and it must have been too large as well. I have posted many pics before. I'm just having a bad technology week.

[IMG]http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn196/swsweld/002.jpg[/IMG]

I will try to get the video tonight or tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3F7b4ViMls
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-11-2008 11:06 Edited 09-11-2008 11:08
Tim,
For resizing pictures....here is what I use(free stuff)---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IrfanView

It can be downloaded here--> http://www.irfanview.com

edit:
Also, if you are using http://www.photobucket.com to host your pics, they have a drop down menu to automatically resize to the ratio of your choosing.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-07-2008 19:39
Al,

Sorry this is so long after original conversation.  I have a question on this test.  Have read through this line and reviewed the earlier one and did not see anything that answers my question.

Is there any testing evidence as to rather there is any connection to mechanical and/or X-ray failure on same rod lots that failed the bubble test and test success on lots that passed the bubble test?  Would seem that tests along these lines would add validation to the more simple to perform bubble test when trying to convince the more synical of welders.

Thanks for all your valuable wisdom in the posts I have been reading.

Brent
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-07-2008 20:22
Hello welderbrent, if you would like some verification of this you could probably run a simple test yourself. Using a piece of flat bar or plate run a couple of beads next to one another, one being the rod that has been properly stored and the other being the rod which has been exposed to the elements for a few days or so and preferrably in a relatively humid environment. When you remove the slag from each of these beads take a close look at the underside of the slag, meaning the surface that was in contact with the weld bead. I believe you will see a pronounced difference in the "bubbles" that have been generated by the unheated rod as opposed to the one which has been properly stored. This might be the first indicator. Next cut the metal off so that you will expose the cross-section of the two beads and polish them to as fine a finish as you can, preferably mirror or close to it. At this point use a magnifying glass(10X or so) and take a close look at each of the bead's cross-sections, it is very likely that you will see a number of small pockets(sectioned gas bubbles) in the cross-section of the unheated rod's weld and probably none in that of the heated rod cross-section.
     As to your other questions regarding whether there is mechanical testing or X-rays that could verify this, I can't speak to the X-ray, however I do believe that this could be detected. On the mechanical issue, if the polish of the coupons was sufficient I believe you would see some small spots of tearing that could be visibly apparent and would look like the surface was peppered with very small discontinuities. A bit for your consideration. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-07-2008 20:46
So I would gather that the bubbles mentioned by Al would be coming from 'porosity' that would be large enough to see, at least under low power magnification.  That in itself would suffice to reject a weld (providing large enough and/or too many) and would be a good hands on sample to show along with the test generating bubbles as the welders are watching.

I was just curious as to rather someone had already done some associated testing to further substantiate a claim that the rod the welders are using has not been properly stored and was therefore 'no good'.  Many will probably not take a claim that this 'bubble' test actually proves their rod is not capable of producing sound welds.  Don't mind running some tests myself, just curious as to how far others had already gone to give merit to the test.

Thanks for your quick response.  Brent
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-07-2008 21:37
Hello welderbrent, just a bit more to follow your questions. The bubbles and porosity that indicate a mechanical issue are being generated or caused by entrapment of hydrogen(moisture related). As the name implies, E7018 or Low-Hydrogen electrodes are used to prevent an excess of hydrogen in the deposited weld metal. If there is an excess of hydrogen in the weld deposit it can lead to under-bead cracking and other mechanical/metallurgical issues. Much of the information that is available covering hydrogen in welding also influences the handling of rod, humidity limitations while welding is taking place, and also welding in the rain or wet environments. Realistically, there is a lot of welding that takes place outside of the limitations in place to govern this, as with many of the limitations, they have a safety factor involved so we aren't subjected to catastrophic failures as a result of not always meeting them, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be heeded. I use an example, when students ask, about this importance that goes something like this: picture a weld made with improperly cared for Low-hydrogen rod as being like a sponge and the same weld bead being made with a properly stored rod as a solid, the spongy material will not have the same strength as the solid. Even though this is an exaggerated example it does give a visual that can be readily understood.
     One other point that could be brought up to further explain this might go along these lines: if you had two beakers of water in a freezer and one of these beakers had a hose in it and air was being pumped into it as it was being frozen you would end up with one beaker of solid ice and one beaker of ice with frozen bubbles entrapped in it. This would be similar to a weld bead that had been run with the moist electrode. The moist-electrode weld would have an excess of hydrogen being added to the weld pool and wouldn't be able to allow the escape of this hydrogen gas before the puddle solidified. The "good" rod on the other hand, wouldn't be introducing excessive levels of hydrogen and thus the welds made wouldn't exhibit rejectable defects.
     This still hasn't answered your question about whether anyone has done testing to provide viewable hard evidence to support reasoning for keeping the rod dry. In my particular case I have seen the items that I described in my first post, I have also experienced failures attributed to wet rods, and have always been taught the reasons behind paying attention to this issue. Much of this evidence goes on at a much higher level than the average person might readily accept, I am referring to metallurgical investigation, a metallurgist could likely give all of us a very scientific explanation and upon reviewing and explaining all of this information it would make sense. So maybe some of those folks who might run into this thread could chime in. You might also consider posing this question in the Metallurgy section. Just a bit more for you to consider. Best regards, Allan 
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-07-2008 22:47
Allen,

Thanks for all the info.  A lot of it I already know though your examples help understand a couple things.  I have only posted a couple times but I have been certified for over 30 yrs, got CWI this past June, and try to read alot about my chosen profession.  I have been monitoring this site occassionally for the past two yrs.

I was just trying to put some added weight to Al's test to be able to quantitatively state that 'when you see bubbles, there is a 90% or better chance that the rod that made the weld, as well as the rest that was similarly stored, will not pass any kind of examination. Visual, mechanical, or even x-ray.

I have been having a lot of discussions with local welders and welding suppliers about the way they are storing and using their supplies, namely 7018.  Go into the welding supply and find 50 lb cans of 7018 sitting behind the counter open that they sell small lots of to the welders.  I think I have gotten them to buy in 10 lb sealed cans and only sell in that or 50 lb sealed containers.  But so many people don't understand and I was just looking for some good facts to totally back up the claim that the open, improperly stored rod was not any good for use in almost any application even where 'code' is not an issue.

Thanks again for all your time today.  Best wishes,  Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-08-2008 00:53 Edited 10-08-2008 01:13
Hello Brent:

Welding electrodes are qualified by the manufacture by welding test coupons and subjecting them to a regiment of tests described in the appropriate A5.X filler metal specifications. If the required tests are passed, the electrode is "certified" as meeting the requirements A5.X for the appropriate classification.

Once the welder has elected to ignore the storage requirements of the manufacturer or applicable code, we have no way of predicting the properties of welds deposited with that electrode. It's a crap shoot. Does the E7018 that has been left out on the bench for 1 day meet the mechanical properties of A5.1 for E7018 electrodes? I don't know. Will it have the properties of an E6010? I don't know. That is the problem, we don't know because it is tested under specific conditions as defined by the appropriate filler metal specification.

I can show you an example of a welder qualification test that was welded with E7018 that wasn't stored properly. The rod was stored in an electrode holding oven, but it wasn't turned on. According to the welder, "That would be a waste of the company's money."

The hydrogen is entrapped in the vacancies and along grain boundaries called hydrogen traps. The atoms are so small they diffuse through the atomic lattice over time. At high temperatures the hydrogen can diffuse faster because the atomic spacing of the metal's crystalline structure is more widely space and offers less obstruction to the movement of the atomic hydrogen (the smallest atom of all the elements). That's one reason why it takes hours or days for the hydrogen to diffuse through the lattice structure, the atoms of atomic hydrogen have to "work" their way through the atomic lattice and to the surface of the weld.

Best regards - Al
Attachment: PorosityBendTestE7018.pdf (94k)
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-08-2008 00:56
Hello Brent, there is one other tidbit you could relay to your welders or others that question this importance. A day or two ago....... I had a few friends that were working at the Hanford Nuclear Reservation outside of Richland, WA., when they were using E7018 they were checked out X-number of electrodes and the check-out time was noted, if they returned beyond a certain period of time for more rods a red flag was raised. Similarly, if they came back minus a rod stub in the prescribed time they would have to come up with a valid reason for not having all of them. This procedure was in place to address the issues surrounding moisture pick-up in rods that were used on that nuke. Granted that may have been taking it to the extreme, yet from a safety and quality perspective it was a valid reason.
     You will certainly have a hard sell trying to convince everyone of the validity of using only properly stored electrodes. Although, the reasoning behind doing so is definitely valid. It would be interesting to see if anyone, as you questioned, has some definitive testing to further support and verify the need for proper rod handling and storage. Like so many things, defining the line between too much and just enough is always a tough one to get across. I have great respect for your interest and conviction here and hope to see others add a bit more proof, information, logic, and reasoning. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-08-2008 04:14
I've also had test pieces "craze" crack when they were welded with E7018 that wasn't properly stored.

I never argue with a paying customer. I always tell them to bring a fresh unopened can of E7018 to the test. I warn them that electrodes that are improperly stored will not pass the test. It never fails, one out of three welders that haven't tested before ignore the warning. On the day of the test they show up with an opened can and they insist they always use electrodes without the hot box and they never have  a problem. Again, I fight the urge to tell them what is really transpiring in my pea sized brain and let them complete the test. OK, so they aren't following procedure, but there is a method to my madness!

I can not think of a single time where a welder with the open can of E7018 has passed the bend tests. I'm sorry to say I don't have a photograph of the typical results. The massive porosity depicted in the photo in my previous post is an oddity. Usually the convex surface of the bent piece is a series of very fine cracks in all directions, both transverse to the bending stress and some parallel to the bending stress.

They always bring a fresh unopened can of E7018 the next time they test. I don't even have to tell them to do so the second time around.

In case you haven't figured it out, I don't provide anything other than the test plates and backing bars at the time of the test. The welder supplies everything else. That way I don't have to hear about how they aren't used to the welding machine, how they prefer brand X instead of brand Y, and the grinder used to clean the plates was turning the wrong RPM, the wire brush was missing a few bristles, the moon was over the left shoulder, and he can weld anything including the crack of Dawn (I often wonder how she feels about having her good name sullied), and so on.

In the end the story is always the same, "I've never had a problem with any of my welds." Then again, they have never had any of their welds tested before. I love it! Where can you have so much fun and get paid doing it! :)

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-08-2008 14:12
Thank you both very much for all your time and words of wisdom.

Short of an indepth scientific evaluation of my question, that I at least can't afford, I think you have covered all the bases very well. 

Allen, I hope I didn't come across like I was trying to shut you down on your response.  I knew you had no idea of my background or who I was as I had no previous posts here.  Just wanted you to have a little information as to who you were talking to. 

The info provided by people on this site has been very beneficial.  Hope that at some point I may be able to help others out as much as you have helped me.

Have a great day,  Brent
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 10-08-2008 14:50
Hello Brent, I didn't take it that way at all. I also understand that experience gained through years of doing and seeing is invaluable, sometimes it's hard, as you say, to come up with the evidence that is believable and verifiable when you are trying to convince people to change their equally long-standing habits and understandings of a situation, afterall, " I've welded for decades and haven't had any failures yet" or so they will say. Prior to joining the forum here I had some fairly set ways of considering fabrication and welding of Stainless Steel, Aluminum, and a lot of other materials, I have since been educated a whole lot on some of the do's and don'ts of this material that I wouldn't have otherwise considered. Have enjoyed the thread and the information presented here. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / ELECTRODE STORAGE