Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / ????????????
- - By mksqc (**) Date 08-27-2008 21:05
I work in a structural steel shop with alot of new safety rules underway this is a great thing for all but the safety person here is wanting all fitters and tackers to wear electronic hoods while fitting and tacking.Has anyone ever heard of this??thank you for any responses
Parent - - By RANDER (***) Date 08-27-2008 21:12
Probably trying to avoid inadvertent strikes from damaging the eyes.  Ive worked in some areas where you just cant imagine why or how the rules came about.  The rules are there for a reason whether someone got hurt there or a lawsuit was filed states away and your company is being proactive.  Best to just follow them and avoid hassles.  Breaking safety rules can usually get you tossed quicker than breaking other rules.  Are they providing the hoods or requiring you to buy them? 
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 08-28-2008 01:25
I just read an article in "The Fabricator" that said OSHA issued a ruling that says THE EMPLOYER must pay for all PPE. This includes eye,foot,hearing and hand protection (I hope I got all the parts).  This ruling was suppossed to go into effect in MAY of this year.

My boss says he hasn't heard anything about this but that is not surprising.

Griff
Parent - - By boilermaker (**) Date 02-06-2009 14:52
The employer must supply the PPE that is "safety" gear...weld hoods, weld gloves and so on...work shoes don't count as "safety" gear. even if the employer requires steel toed or composite toed boots.  I've been over that ruling with employers and employees also...Everyone wanted the contractor to buy the steel toes...
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 02-06-2009 19:18
I was relaying what     OSHA      said in the article.   Not what I thought or wanted to believe.

Griff
Parent - By mksqc (**) Date 08-28-2008 21:08
yes the company will supply the hoods all PPE is supplyed here and yes it is best to conform to all safety rules.
I was just interested to find out if anyone else had heard of this before
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 08-28-2008 01:38
mksqc,
  I have seen this done before. When fitting and tacking, one is exposed more often than one who just welds the joint up. Thus the higher risk of burns. I can personaly say that I received the worst burns from tacking and fitting. This is why you will find a fitter with a bottle of sunscreen in his locker in january. LOL These guys usually have a bottle of 2% tetracain lifted from the optomitrist.

IMHO it is a valid concern that should be dealt with on a job to job basis.

I have implimented two speedglass flex views onto the floor. I would love to have the stroke to pull of the air assisted flex view.

jrw159
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-28-2008 03:31
In the last Welding Journal, Washington Watch columns it was announced that OSHA has recently passed a law that it is the EMPLOYER's responsibility to pay any PPE (personal Protective Equipment) required for their employee's... pass the safety requirements on to the shop manager with this word of advice/
Parent - - By RANDER (***) Date 08-28-2008 03:55
Thats kinda where I was going with that Jon.  Glad to see others agree.  They are requiring this person and others to use these hoods and therefore should bear the cost of the PPE.  I have dealt with some "silly" rules before and its really better to conform and just do it especially if it doesn't come out of your pocket.  I dont feel that his employer is stepping out of line or asking anything of their employees that should be considered outside of the norm.  Some of the guys here probably scoffed at earplugs in their day. 
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-28-2008 07:51
Myself being one who scoffed at ear plugs in my day am now paying the price, very, very dearly!!!!
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 08-28-2008 16:44
Huh?  What'd you say?  :)

Technology is awesome.  But I still prefer my old fashioned dark glass.
Parent - - By turbolaser (**) Date 08-31-2008 14:54
Yeah the respirated flexviews are great.  Got the company to purchase them for myself and helper who fcaw inside tanks all day.   My companies insurance company requires msds submittal for any new product used in the plant.  When the msds for the fcaw-g was sent to then they sent a fella out to air sample us for the day.  They fitted the air tubes in our hood to monitor for the day,  I moved mine to the bottom of the hood and took the smoke up the hood for the day to ensure a failure on mang.  Results came back 10x oshas exposure limit on mang.  Insurance company said respirated hoods had to be purchased within 1 week. 
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 02-06-2009 16:40
Reducing neck strain/injury from snapping helmets down (reducing WCI claims) and increasing (increasing productivity) arc on time with auto change helmets have been reported by customers.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 02-06-2009 20:29
although it's not life and death, what the issue with using auto-darkening hoods if the employer pays for them?

I was trained on the old fiberglass hoods with regular ol glass, but once I started using an auto-darkening I would never go back.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-06-2009 22:54 Edited 02-06-2009 23:02
Sometimes I feel like a broken record.

Safety glasses (Z87 compliant) with side shields provide 99.9% UV protection.  Hood up,, hood down,, $400 Magic auto hood, $40 Old Huntsman... Wear the safety glasses and Eyes remain undamaged.

Demanding auto hoods I suspect is one persons "interpretation" of OSHA regs.

OSHA demanding that manufacturers supply $400 auto hoods for every welder without regard to what they do seems a bit fantastic and frankly unreasonable... But I suppose OSHA is not famous for being reasonable.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 02-07-2009 06:38
I agree with you lawrence, safety glasses are considered proper protection from welding radiation. Also unless your actively welding most people don't keep their AD hood down because it's kinda stiffly and still hard to see what your doing.  I also agree that a auto darkening hood won't really improve safety besides maybe neck strain (also most of the new auto darkening hoods are lighter).

I suspect in this case the safety officer is demanding them? and if the company is willing to pay, I'm curious as to what the reluctance is from a welder to use the hoods.

Also I really do suspect it would marginally increase production time and help reduce things like arc strikes and tie ins, because you can accurately position the torch prior to striking an arc.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-08-2009 18:51
Thank you Lawrence,  My eye doctor told me that 30 yrs ago.  I can't get my employees to keep them on no matter what.  They keep saying " I got an arc flash, I need a curtain" etc.

I keep telling them, wear the safety glasses and you won't get a flash.  (almost never)  I haven't had one in years. 

As far as the hoods, it is hard to tell what managements decision is based on.  If they are paying, who's to complain.  And boy do I agree, since I got my first auto dark, I don't like it when I have to use a standard lens hood.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / ????????????