Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pray for the gulf coast
- - By ryan gaspard (**) Date 08-30-2008 01:02
just left the port of iberia had to leave for the comming storm, alot of welders, labors etc. will be out of work for awhile IF the storm hits where expected, pray that all goes well and we can all go back to work.
Parent - - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 08-30-2008 01:05
Prayers are sent.  Is port of iberia in LA?
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 08-30-2008 01:14
Yeah it is.  We are bracing here in Galveston, too.  We are in the "cone of uncertainty".  It ought to be a doozie.  Gas prices are already rising.
Parent - - By ryan gaspard (**) Date 08-30-2008 01:15
yes about 3 miles from vermillion bay the way the crow flies. when rita hit 3 years ago there was 4 to5 feet of water in the yard we are working in now
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 08-30-2008 01:50
to all of you in the south, brace yourself!
Parent - - By Robert Turney (*) Date 08-30-2008 03:25
I pray that nothing bad happens. I had to go to the Mississippi coast after Katrina, and it was nothing I want to ever see again in my life.  I volunteered to go if this hurricane damages any of our service areas.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 08-30-2008 14:26
I'm about 40 miles north of New Orleans I'm staying unless I think it's gonna be really bad then maybe I'll go further north the main thing is the dang trees here, Katrina took most of them out maybe this one will take a few more but not land on the house. There not much you can do sit around wait for it to hit hope a tree doesn't land ion your house or whatever.

I still say I'd rather be here then like Iowa because at least you can see a hurricane coming you can't see a tornado if it were at night
Parent - - By ryan gaspard (**) Date 08-30-2008 20:43
chris 2698 what town are you in i have a home in marksville when i come home to it working in new iberia right now left yesterday glad i did
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 08-31-2008 01:54
I'm in Covington they say there wanting people to leave the St. Tammany parish area that live south of I-12 but I live north of it. My mom wanting to leave but **** I really don't want to it's a freaking cluster F I really don't want to deal with the traffic. I got alot of beer and alot of whiskey so I'm good to go LOL There saying this thing is moving a little more towards the east which isn't good for us but I think I'm gonna stay though we'll see what tomorrow brings
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 09-05-2008 23:26
I'M ALIVE I'M SO HAPPY NO MORE FREAKING GENERATOR I AM SO TIRED OF HEARING GENERATORS RUN AND THE BEST PART I DIDN'T HAVE TO GET IN THE BATHTUB WITH MY BOTTLE OF WHISKEY IT WASN'T THAT BAD. LOL
Parent - By banshee35 (**) Date 09-06-2008 01:19
thats good to hear man! glad you mad it through! all we got up here was about 3" of drizzling rain. my power was out for about a day.
Parent - By ryan gaspard (**) Date 09-07-2008 00:38
finally got elec. after 5 days, no one hurt lots of damage in avoyelles parish , lots of flooding water got in my home about 5 in enought to ruin every thing it rained 7 to 9 in.;s per hour for 3 hours lot of places without power. thank god all that was damaged can be replaced. now on the look out for ike strong cat 4. thanks for all the prayers, thaks alot. could not reply sooner, just got service.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-07-2008 17:21
Just think of what would have happened if you spilled the bottle!!! Would have been worse than getting killed!!! :-) S.W.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 09-08-2008 00:44
now theres a chance for Ike to come I really have had enough of this I think i may take a vacation this time around
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-08-2008 00:50
'Comon on up. As long as you shower on a regular basis, my wife will be ok with it :-) (Inside joke)

Serious, hope we'll get to meet one day. Maybe I'll have my '55 done & you can burn some Brick Red with it. :-)

S.W.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 09-08-2008 01:01
You're wife may hate me because I am to clean LOL gotta shower alot..don't mine doing some house cleaning to. My sister has a condo in Chicago I'd go there and party my a** off
LOL
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-08-2008 01:04
Yer hired!! :-)
Parent - - By snuffman (***) Date 09-08-2008 01:02
Once a week often enough? :-) LOL
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-08-2008 01:03
It's a bad story. I posted it at the end of the whole Lincolonbobekin thing. I think you'll be ok. :-)
Parent - - By snuffman (***) Date 09-08-2008 01:07
I no I read it, some people make me wonder. Ive had something similiar happen to me.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-08-2008 01:18
This dude's a trip. I can't really say anything more. I actually don't know how to explain him.

Personal hygiene is a real plus when you're staying with friends as a guest. :-)

He won't be staying again. My wife hates his guts. :-)

I'm gonna try real hard to get some dough together for your parts. Need a Miller S 32 feeder?? :-) S.W.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-07-2008 01:54
How you been?? hope well! S.W.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 09-07-2008 02:21 Edited 09-07-2008 02:23
Just cracked open my bottke of whisky can't let uit go to waste now LOL yeah I hope Ike doesn't come this way but with new job I'll still get paid for it so thats cool not a bad work week and another week off and I get paid for it. ahh crap I'm rto drunk to type just glad I got power on.one thing for sure is the sa 200 works well as a storage tank for gasoline I used it to drain off from to run my generator for a few days

Chris
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-07-2008 02:22
Cool. Glad to hear it! I take it the job's good. I'll holla back later. Enjoy the night. be careful!! :-) S.W.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 09-07-2008 02:24
oh hell yeah therte paying me to learn I can't complain about that, everyone I talk to there been there for 20 years or more seems like a good place to work so far anyway
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-07-2008 02:30
GREAT!!!! I'm SO glad it's working out. :-) Sounds like a pretty good place to work. Been tearing down my '55. Got the barrel off & apart. Think I'm gonna replace all the coils in it with new Hybriweld ones. They are expensive, but cheaper & better than OEM. Got to press them out now. I got a call in to Kaye as to whether I should of not. The engine turns over great, just leaks a LOT of oil. That'll be a couple grand to do that, I think I'm gonna do as much of it as I can to save some money. We'll see. Bye. S.W.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 09-07-2008 02:33
I think my motor fully rebuilt was like 1900 or so and it runs so dam good I know it'll probally last another 30 years the way I take care of it
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-07-2008 02:40
That's good to know. I figure, I'll pay someone to do the machine work & do the teardown/reassembly myself to save a little. I got a Connie tech manual & I've done a couple 2'4 cyl. bike engines, this should be not all too different. I have the tools & just need the money!!! :-) I'll wait till I get the barrel done, then start on the engine. I'll just get a cheap motor stand from Harbor Freight & spend a winter (or summer :-)) tearing it down. I figure I'm gonna sandblast the entire barrel, exciter bracket & frame, do it right. The engine/barrel will be red oxide (like the inside of all Lincoln's old machines) & the outside machine tool gray with clear coat.

I'm excited to get going, just need to get a job to get some funds together for it!! S.W.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 09-07-2008 15:25
I never sand blasted the barrel I just used a wire wheel on my grinder to strip the paint and rust away on the ouside of the barrel I was affraid sandblasting may damage it but if you use any kinda wire wheel I'd make sure to wear a mask because I wouldn't be surprised if that old paint had lead in it. The wire wheel worked pretty dam good on the outside of it just put a little pressure and it ripped it right off there.

Chris
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-07-2008 17:03
Yeah. I'm going to pull all the coils out if I do get it blasted. We'll see what happens. I got the exciter bracket wire wheeled down & it looks good. It will just be a process. In no rush, because I don't have the money to do the big stuff yet. S.W.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-07-2008 17:23
I will sandblast the doors, face & frame though. The doors are almost perfect. They even have the original latch handles on them! I'm going with the OEM look, all the way. NO BLING!!!
Parent - - By jjriley72 Date 09-16-2008 03:20
I'm one of the fortunate ones here on the gulf coast who didn't lose much during Hurricane Ike but my family and I are without power.  I have my SA 200 powering a few lights and fans.  Does anybody know if there is a invertor that will allow me to hook up my leads and run the house. The freezer has just about had it and things are starting to thaw.  I went and stood in line for 2.5 hours for 2 bags of ice.  I just know there is someway to convert the 90 volts at and at least 100 amps (i guess) to run a freezer and frig.  Anyways if anyone has any sources or ideas I'm listening.  By the way if you are wondering how I'm on the internet I'm in my truck on my lap top thats on a very small invertor that I use in the field.  Thanks everyone- John
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-16-2008 03:28
The problem will be, once the Constant Current welding circuit is closed & the "arc" struck, the voltage is going to drop due to less resistance. The open circuit voltage will not stay at say, 80-90 volts once it closes. It only remains that high for a second to establish the welding arc, then drops to around roughly half that. Get an AC generator when you can & have it for next time. Good luck. Steve.
Parent - - By jjriley72 Date 09-16-2008 03:40
Yea I had one here at the house and when I came out of the field I found it missing.  I have enough money to buy one but they haven't made it up here into Conroe, Tx. just yet but the first chance I get I'm buying one. 
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-16-2008 03:47
Glad to hear you guy are for the most part, doing well. An 8K will probably do more than everything you need. You could probably get by with less. More never hurts though!

Good luck!! :-) Steve.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pray for the gulf coast