Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Vacuum Box Test.
- - By David Liptrot Date 09-01-2008 05:58
What's the qualification/certification requirement for someone to perform Vacuum Box Leak Testing on weld joints on tanks designed and fabricated to API 620 & 650?

Is it a mandatory requirement in API or ASNT that qualification/certification is required for performing Vacuum Box Leak Test?

Also, is a test result valid if someone performs the Vacuum Box Leak Test without qualification/certification though has previous experience in performing the test?

We have Contractor designing and building tanks to API 620 & 650. He says that he's never been asked by his Clients if his Inspector undertaking the Vacuum Box Leak Test is qualified/certified and that Leak Test results signed off by the Inspector have been accepted by the Clients.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 09-02-2008 04:14
David,
API 650 has no formal requirement for qualifications/certifications for Vacuum boxing.
API 650 Clause 6.4.4 only requires that :
(a) The operator has vision that will enable him to read a Jaeger 2 standard chart at a distance of not less than 12" (This shall be checked annually)
(b) Is competent in performing the examination and in interpreting/ evaluating the results

Hope that helps,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By dmilesdot (**) Date 09-02-2008 13:31
I supose that it would depend on wheather the fabricator is claiming that his inspector is an ASNT Level II.  If so there are training requirements that would have to be documented.  If he isnt claiming any certification level and only that the technician is "qualified" then he wouldnt need any training records.
Dave
Parent - By mroach (**) Date 09-02-2008 14:52
Part (b) of the API 650 code implies that the inspector meets the criteria of either a level I or II which is defined within the SNT-TC-1A. Question for DL? Is the test for inspection information or certification of the weld? Just out of curiosity.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 09-02-2008 14:45
look at ASNT-TC-1A for NDT requirements for performing leak testing (LT) and/or QC manual-job specs
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-02-2008 19:41 Edited 09-02-2008 19:49
I wholly agree with Shane. Vacuum test on storage tanks bottoms is done to make sure there are no leaky welds. If a leaky weld is found out, it's repaired and the vaccum test of that section is repeated.
Back in my days of erector engineer I've supervised a few vacuum tests. The "competentness" mentioned by API 650 and quoted by Shane means that whoever is doing the test knows what's he's doing, and whoever inspects the test knows how the test is done.
ASNT refers to more sophisticatd tests as Radiograph, gamma rays, US, magnetic particles etc. Requiring that who does the vacuum test has been previously certified by ASNT is, as we say in Brazil, to require a Ferrari when a Beetle is sufficient.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil 
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 09-02-2008 19:57
dmilesdot,mroach,hogan,

API 650 Appendix T and API 620 Appendix P
Examiner Qualifications:
VB (Vacuum Boxing) - None

I think that is pretty straightforward. Of course the client can specify minimum requirements for examiners qualifications but in answer to the original question there is no requirement in either of the referenced codes for qualifications or certifications for vacuum boxing personnel,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-02-2008 20:51
Shane,
I'm amazed at your deep knowledge of American standards. This is not the first time that you demonstrate to know American standards, as we say in Brazil, like the palm of your hand.
I've always thought that in Australia you followed British standards. So, what are the predominant standards in Australia, British or American?
Here in Brazil we use almost exclusively American ones, unless someone (the client, for example) requires to use another one, but this very very seldom occurs.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 09-02-2008 22:09
Giovanni,
Thank you for the compliment.
In New Zealand (where I spent my early years) we use ASME and API exclusively but in Australia they use a combination of American, British and Australian codes.
With the huge amount of construction work in Australia and companies such as Bechtel, Fluor, CB&I etc being involved there is a lot more work being done to American codes.
I really enjoy being able to navigate through the codes and find answers to peoples queries / questions.
A few big projects coming up in Brazil (Barro Alto, Alumar and Serra Sul) so I may end up catching up with you to say hello some time in the future. (Just have to work on my Portugese)
Regards,
Shane
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Vacuum Box Test.