Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / NDT schools
- - By racer12c Date 09-02-2008 22:48
Hello, I am interested in NDT and am currently looking at places to get certified.  I see houston is popular for training, what about hutchinson in minnesota?  Also, how do most people get the hours to be a level 1 or 2 and how many are there? 
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 09-02-2008 23:16
Racer,
I would suggest looking at the following link if you haven't already done so.  I also have been doing research on this career option. http://www.asnt.org/certification/levelii/index.htm
Good luck.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-03-2008 11:08
If you want to work O&G Houston would be the place to train. If you want to work nuclear Hutchinson would be the place.
As for the hours, the later option of Hutch would be a better option, they have a fairly good program for getting their people hired as a trainee/level 1
Parent - By Taintedhalo (*) Date 09-03-2008 12:21
Hutchinson is a good school. They have a heck of a set-up their. I am not sure were you are from but if housing is needed their are some cheaper places to live. And plenty of places to work at while going to school. I am located in Hutchinson and we have a couple of guys working here second shift that are going to school for NDT. What I hear is that it is a self paced course. One of the Instructors their is my companies Level 3. Let me know if you need some information from the area if you decide to come here.
Parent - - By raptor34 (**) Date 09-03-2008 23:48
I had a helper that was going to salt lake community college a while back. I liked the helper, he seemed to know what he was doing and there are several companies in the area that will hire you as you are going to school.
Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 09-04-2008 00:14
Hutchinson in MN is an excellent school for NDT. It offers a 2 year degree in NDT. I did not personally attend it but I have worked with people that have and they say it is good. It is not called Hutchinson anymore. I believe it is called Riverside College now.. I would recommend it if you have 2 years to spare. Otherwise look up training in Houston, If you want to be a commercial diver doing NDT contact the Ocean Corporation in Houston.
Parent - - By racer12c Date 09-04-2008 20:06
Hey guys, much appreciated responses... NDTIII as for getting hours in, can you give any tips/ideas?  Also, when taking a CWI...do most use the D1.1 book for the open portion>?
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 09-04-2008 23:52
For CWI I believe most use API-1104. As fa as hours go, you'll have to work as a trainee to get your experiece hours. It wont take long. If you get a good Level II who  is willing to teach you then you will be lucky. We call it paying your dues. Every NDT hand goes through it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / NDT schools