Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / hi everyone. i am new... what weld test should i take?
- - By jaya flores Date 09-03-2008 00:44
hello everyone.
i am pretty new to these forums, and LOVE them so far, so thank you everyone for making them great.

i am a welder at this place called alaskan copper works, we build everything from sushi trays to big ass titanium heat exchangers, and many other things...
so here is my question, and i am 100% sure how to ask it.
i want to know what type of welding test i should take? i love my job, i have been working there for over 2 years, welding many types of metals/alloys and would like to take a test that some what relates to what i am doing now.

so here are some of the things i do... all with GTAW and GMAW ex. TI.

a lot of 304l/316l pipe from 1" to 10 feet. but mostly 6-12" sch. 40
al6xn pipe and heat exchangers w/w [welded with] inconel 625
duplex 2205 piping systems w/w 2209 and welded to MS
copper nickel 70/30 and 90/10 with rn67 and CN to MS with rn60 tanks for navy and piping mostly for boat exhaust
titanium grade 1,2,7,12 tanks/HE/piping
alloy 20 stuff.
and i dont know a lot of other piping and alloys and some aluminum.

so i kind of want to so something else for a year or two while i am still fairly young, so i want to get a cert that will help me find a new work place, and just make me a little more sought after.
i have passed in-house x-ray test and all these metals and maybe 8 other alloys/metals.

THANK YOU all so much for your help!
if you need any more info form me, please just ask. THANK you.
and info will help i am no clue what i am doing :) or where to look for testing.
BTW. i am in seattle WA.

thank you!!!
Parent - By jaya flores Date 09-03-2008 01:48
some pictures of what i do. http://www.flickr.com/photos/30133572@N07/
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 09-03-2008 12:36
Did they not make you test for what you have to weld on in your workplace?  What kind of welding besides what you do would you like to get into?  Give industrial construction a shot.  You get to see some pretty cool things in theat line of work.  The view is sometimes breathtaking. lol;-)
Parent - - By jaya flores Date 09-03-2008 13:02
construction was fun and pretty... before i was a welder i was a framer [wood homes] for 3 years. and the views were great.

i really like working with a lot of different metals. so if i leave my job now, i was thinking of maybe trying to get a job at the ship yard in hawaii.
or maybe trying out pipe fitters or something like that even though i am not very good with stick SMAW.

oh, and i only had to test in house, were i do a test plate, we x-ray and they give me a paper. but it will not transfer....
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 09-03-2008 14:28
I was talking about industrial construction like building powerplants, steel mills, refineries etc etc. About the testing pretty much anywhere you go you will have to test. The only thing a cert is good for is to get you in the door to a new company and take there test.  So the paperwork you have now may be a good bargaining chip to get on with the fitters, boilermakers, or ironworkers so you can take their tests. 
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 09-03-2008 15:20
Is that ACB in portland?
Parent - - By UCSB (**) Date 09-03-2008 22:35
I've performed inspections at Alaska Copper many times.
If you are welding for them, they need to certify you inhouse for the work you are doing for them.
If you are wanting to go to another shop and work, they will need to certify you per their QC program.
Parent - - By jaya flores Date 09-03-2008 23:37
YES i would like to do --> industrial construction like building powerplants, steel mills, refineries...
    i want to work some shut downs and such. but i dont really know how to get started on that.

yes there is a ACB [alaskan copper and brass] but its a wear-house type deal, where they just store and sell metals.

what company do you work for that you do inspections at ACW? maybe i have seen you around :)
i have cert's inhouse for your procedures 
but they dont mean much out side of ACW. but would help from maybe getting an interview.

but i would kind of like to work at the navy ship yard in hawaii. if i move back home [hawaii].

THANK YOU!
Parent - - By UCSB (**) Date 09-05-2008 22:37
I used to work for X-Ray Inc, Pacific Testing and Pittsburg Testing (PSI) in Seattle 20 years ago.
You should just find the projects you want to work on and put in an application with the contractor.
Most industrial projects qualify the welders for the job.
Commercial projects (buildings) need to be certified WABO in Washington State.
Check with some of the Labs and see if they will test for WABO.
Take the test on 1" plate in 3G and 4G position.
Check into some of the unions, Boilermakers or Pipefitters for industrial and Ironworkers for commercial.
Check with Todd or Lockheed (if they are still around) for shipyard work.
You can also check with some of the boatyards around Seattle or Tacoma.
Parent - - By jaya flores Date 09-05-2008 23:57
well you see... i did a WABO a few years ago. but the only reason i want a cert test, is so i can move out of state and find work.
and thats why i dont really care for WABO. it does not do much for me if i move to hawaii or any other state. maybe i will call up some oregon schools and se what test they give?

thank you for you help guys...
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 09-08-2008 13:26
jaya,
I thought that the WABO cert was just a D1.1 test that is required to be witnessed and renewed annually.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-08-2008 16:54
Hogan, they have to be witnessed every quarter, I can see some companies signing the card even if the welder doesn't use the process just to keep the welders qualified.
all that is needed is the secrataries signature. (what I have been told)

6.1 Welder certificates are issued for a period of one year. For certifications to remain valid, the
welder must have the certificate endorsed by his/her supervisor or designee, or by a WABO
certified welding examiner. The endorser shall have witnessed the individual's welding
during the calendar quarter being endorsed.
6.2 To renew the certificate, the welder must return the certification card and properly endorsed
signature form to WABO and pay a renewal fee.
6.3 The qualification of the welder or welding operator shall remain in effect indefinitely unless:
6.3.1 The welder or welding operator is not engaged in the weld process for which he/she
is qualified for a period exceeding six (6) months, in which case a new qualification
test shall be required.
6.3.2 There is some specific reason to question a welder or welding operator's ability, in
which case, a new qualification test may be required. In the event the welder or
welding operator fails to pass the new qualification test, certification shall be
suspended until he/she can successfully complete the welding test.
6.3.3 The welder fails to renew his/her certification on or before the expiration date.
EXCEPTION: An expired certification may be reinstated within sixty (60) days after
the expiration date. Thereafter, a new qualification test shall be required.
6.3.4 Certification for Seismic Restricted Access Welder shall remain valid for 36 months,
providing the continuity requirements for process use outlined above are met. After
36 months a new qualification test is required.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 09-08-2008 17:49
ctacker,
would that fall under continuity more than "witnessing"? I should have been more specific. You are required to have your test witnessed by a WABO rep. and have your employer/(applicable) inspector sign the continuity for each quarter
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-09-2008 01:02
the endorser needs to witness the process he is endorsing, and yes your test can only be witnessed by a WABO rep or WABO certified facility!
hope that answers!
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 09-09-2008 13:07
ctacker,
I thought that is what I said. Maybe I am communicating poorly. I was a WABO inspector for about 4 years
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 09-09-2008 14:52
Hogan,
I thought you were asking, monday morning dayoff blues I guess, if you were a WABO inspector then you should have it covered better than I can explain it.
My only referance is the website Allen refered to!
Regards,
Carl
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-09-2008 02:43
Hello hogan, to clarify just a bit on ctackers comments. WABO testing has to be performed in a certified WABO testing facility and the testing has to be administered by a WABO certified welding examiner. There are some definite differences from the AWS mode of testing and certification and that of WABO. The certifications are on a yearly renewal schedule and require submission of the welder's certification card and a signature card that needs to be signed off by the employer or his agent at the time of renewal, basically meaning anyone who has witnessed that the welder has indeed welded in the process for which he/she is certified. There are a number of other items that relate to this process and anyone who has an interest in them can go to: www.wabo.org for additional information and to learn more about this. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-09-2008 03:11
Thanks Allen, that explains why your the teacher and I'm not. :)
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-09-2008 03:22
Hello Carl, actually I do have a bit of an in on this topic. I have been a WABO examiner for the past 14 years or so, I lose track, hence the "or so" response. I have also been through a couple of facility audits, various revisions and changes to the process, and other related items. So the teacher thing isn't really why I have a bit of knowledge about this process. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-09-2008 03:48
The only experiance I really have with WABO is signing a few cards, And reading the website a time or two. we dont accept the WABO where I work.
Even if they hold it(WABO), we test each and every fitter/welder we hire!
I tested one guy that held a few certs from WABO, he took from 9AM till almost 10PM(well into night shift) to fail the visual on a 1" X 8" plate using 1/16 wire(3G)!
If they cant do a plate in 4 hours( I let them use a fan to cool their plate) then they wouldn't make it in production!
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-09-2008 04:14
Hello again Carl, the debates on various forms of certifications could rage on for time eternal. Definitely, a company should test anyone whether they currently hold a certification or not. All to often individuals will practice for the test and not master the process. I have had testing candidates from the outside as well as some of my students who have "passed" the test, but I know they don't have the necessary skills to stand alone when they hit the job trail. In a sense it's kind of like the documentation that you sometimes see in a doctor's office, you don't know whether they passed in the top ten percent of the class or were the ones who just skated by with the bare minimums. I don't get to play God as the examiner and as so many of you out there know, we do have criteria for acceptance of welds as well as welders, some will truly show the best and others will manage to keep just within those acceptable limits. Where they go and what they do after that is up to them and those that they interact with. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-09-2008 05:10
Allen,
I also know that some welders fresh from school are well equiped to pass a test, but put them in production and they fail miserably, some of the best plates I have seen are from people like these, I usually try and give them a chance and give instruction so they have a chance to succeed but the final say isn't mine, and after a month or so most won't make it!
Some are naturals and then some should find a new trade! the rest may make it after getting the shaft a few times!
Regards,
Carl
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 09-09-2008 06:26
Hello again Carl, I certainly respect what you're saying regarding many who leave school and approach a job with the understanding that they may fail or not fit in with the particular skill requirements or other expectations that are needed. I do typically see that many will have a longer road than others to reaching a marketable skill level or finding their "place". At the same time, it is also a testament to their determination and desire to succeed. If they truly have the desire, they will find a place for themselves. I generally get worked up when I run into those who have the necessary skills and understanding but not the drive or motivation to give it their all, those are the times when you would like to be able to do a bit of skill swapping amongst the students. I try to remain optimistic for all of the students because even those who don't necessarily show the signs of instant promise do in many cases show everyone that they too can be successful. For many it's a matter of having someone in their corner(it may be the first time in their lives) and also showing them that they have abilities that they can have confidence in. Got a little off topic Carl, but I do believe you can understand where I'm coming from. I would also add one other comment, for some individuals, having someone at a shop take an interest in them and being honest with them regarding their skills and then being willing to work with them, so long as they show a genuine interest, is going to end up with an employee who will likely be amazingly loyal and not forget who gave them the break and return the favor should their employer need the help. Best regards, Allan   
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 09-06-2008 03:36
If you want to burn rod or get into NDT, Atlas castings in Tacoma is always hiring welders and they also train for MT,PT and RT!
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 09-05-2008 22:47
You could talk to Harder mechanical ( Vancouver ). They have a wide range of clients in new plant construction and maintenance. They are a good company to work for and have sister companies in the structural field.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / hi everyone. i am new... what weld test should i take?