Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Press Brake Safety Devices
- - By aevald (*****) Date 09-03-2008 09:42
Hello folks, looking for some ideas here. I am working for one of the local shops in my area over the summer. They recently had an OSHA inspection visit and found that their older hydraulic press brake didn't live up to the safety guidelines of OSHA. I am wondering what types of systems you folks out there are using to guard your operators? Would appreciate any commentary or photos of systems that you are using. Thanks beforehand. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 09-03-2008 16:37
We use an optical beam device.  If you break the path between the two heads, the ram reverses to the up stroke.  It's efficient, but can be bypassed.  The most efficient safety device I have ever seen on a press brake is the two-hand only operating system.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-03-2008 16:57
The two hand system sounds good...hard to get both hands in there if they are holding down buttons somewhere else.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-03-2008 20:38
Hello Curt, thanks for the response, they had looked into a laser type device and the price tag started at around $5000.00, had also heard about the two-handed deadman switches. Another possibility were a set of "hand-cuffs" that won't allow the operator to reach into the area of the dies. Just curious as to if anyone else has had other ideas or solutions. Thanks again to you and John both. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-04-2008 03:53
    The "Hand-cuff" systems works well for production work, a metal stamping company I worked for used them on all the hand fed presses in conjunction with doubble buttons. They were "Possun Pul Back" brand, if I remember right. We used them on rather long stroke fast cycling punch presses. The operators do need to be sure that the cables aren't tangled with a fast press, if they are it really yanks on the wrist. The buttons should be placed such that there is plenty of slack in the cables at the bottom of the stroke whith the buttons down.

At the auto frame plant they did not use the pull back system, only doubble buttons. On multiple operator presses there was a doubble button stand for each operator, the activation buttons were in enclosures so You couldn't press them if You fell against the stand. There was an emergency shutdown button on top of the enclosure. These stands were not mounted to the machine, they were on a length of cable so they could be moved to an appropriate position for the operators safety and convinience.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-04-2008 09:49
Hello Dave, thanks for the reply. The problem here of course is that this is a job shop application so much of the brake work is one-off type stuff, radius forming (so the use of a backgauge is a little tough), and other non-fixtureable type applications. In many cases the work requires two individuals to handle the parts and position them for proper gaging and bending. Trying to find something to keep OSHA happy and at the same time not trying to make accomplishing the work harder than it needs to be or the use of the safety device more dangerous than the machine in the first place. Appreciate the info, best regards, Allan
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-05-2008 04:35
     Allan, guards, lightbeams & all that stuff is impractical for 1 off work, what do the good people at OSHA suggest?
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 09-05-2008 08:47
Dave, unfortunately they expect and suggest, hand-cuffs, light beams, and mechanical guards, go figure. Regards, Allan
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-04-2008 05:31
Allan, we have an "old school" hydraulic press brake also, and common sense has been our best safety device.(Just kidding OSHA and Allen, but I couldn't resist) :)
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-04-2008 09:52
Hello Carl, I know exactly what you mean. Aside from that, OSHA has it's regulations and trying to act in the spirit of safety I would like to help them come up with something that will satisfy safety as well as the regulatory body. Kidding understood! Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-04-2008 12:40
Allan,
Is the mfg of this press still in business? If so, contact them and see if they have any retrofits to get the machine guarding up to speed with todays safety standards. I had to do this for several of our lock out/tag out procedures due to the age of some of our equipement. Coming up with ways to lock and tag that old equipment was challenging, but I was able to work with the mfg and their service people to develope sound procedures and they also helped verify that what we came up with would actually work to de-energize the potential hazzards.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-04-2008 19:43
Thanks John, probably should have thought of that one myself, lol. One of the presses is an Ursviken (hydraulic)and the other is a Smith-Wells(mechanical) I believe. I'll try to give that route a shot. Thanks again, best regards, Allan
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-04-2008 19:53
Allan,
Be sure to document all of your phone conversations and all of the research that you put into solving this....should it turn out that there just isn't a viable solution for some reason, you want the OSHA auditor to see that you indeed tried come up with something. Writing procedures, or Safe Work Practices with a piece of equipment like that is a good idea also to ensure a new or temporary/fill in employee will be able to operate the equipment and follow the instructions to work safely. All of these things weigh in when an auditor is looking over your facility and decideing whether or not to write up a concern. I've been through a few audits now and so far the auditors have really worked with me on any concerns they had during their visits, just because of our willingness to go that extra step to ensure safety.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 09-04-2008 19:59
Hello John, thanks for that additional bit of information. I know that the shop super over there has done some investigating on his own so I'll relay that to him as well. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Press Brake Safety Devices