Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / flux core wire
- - By KENNY629 (**) Date 09-03-2008 22:12
i am using .030 flux core silver wire, for some LIGHT house railings right now but that stuff is like paper thin and breaks easy or get's jammed in the machine!! someone mentioned to me that i should pick of the copper wire instead! what's the difference is there??  confused!!!! and need help.... not mental help either...lmao
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 09-03-2008 23:13
They should be the same. This could be a drive issue. have you checked the drive rolls for correct size and type, also tension on wire
Parent - By KENNY629 (**) Date 09-03-2008 23:17
i think it's correct, but i will have to double check in the morning
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-04-2008 09:27
Hello Kenny, by your description I am making the assumption that you are using a self-shielded flux-cored wire to weld these rails. If you go with the "copper" colored wire, this would actually be considered "solid wire" and has a different classification and requirements than the wire that you are currently using. Currently the self-shielded wire will require your polarity to be set to "straight polarity" meaning the the gun is - and the ground is +. If you switch over to the solid wire you will need to run a shielding gas, probably 75Ar/25Co2 or Co2, and set the machine polarity to "reverse polarity", gun is +, ground is -. The resulting weld deposit will not have any slag to remove and will likely exhibit much less spatter and smoke. These wires do run differently from one to the other so you would probably need to do a little bit of experimentation and practicing to get the hang of them. Check some of the archives on the forum having to do with GMAW or FCAW self-shielded, there should be a lot of information that can explain the differences and give you a feel for which one may suit your needs better. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 09-04-2008 14:11
Thanks allen. This was one of those thing that is obvious once you think about it. I guess I need to do that more.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 09-04-2008 19:49
Hello hogan, no problem. I can't tell you how many times I have rushed into something and then been reminded by someone at the time of a much easier or more obvious remedy or after thinking about it later or getting away from it for a while the same has occurred. Hope things are going well for you these days, one of these times I will have to get down south and pay you a visit at your facility and meet you in person. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-04-2008 19:58
hogan, many times it is alot easier to see things from a different perspective and if you are too close to the problem it just doesn't jump out at you like it would if you viewed it from across the room. I think we can all relate with you there....LOL
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 09-10-2008 14:54
Are you using a vee knurled drive roll? If not, fyi - You don't need much downward pressure to get good traction on slippery flux cored wires. With smooth vee groove drive rolls it requires greater pressure to get a good grip. Possibly flattening the cored wire.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / flux core wire