Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Buttering
- - By ritz (*) Date 09-04-2008 04:23
Hi to All!

Any one could explain to me what is the used of buttering, why it is required?

I would highly appreciate any reply on my query.

Thanks to all!!

Ritz,
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-04-2008 05:14
"Buttering" is a term used for adding weld metal to build a part up. if you machine a cast part and there is not enough cast to allow for machine cleanup you would "butter it up" to get complete cleanup, another example would be if you needed a 12" plate and the plate you had was 11-3/4" you could butter up the end to bring it to 12"( and depending on what standard you are working to, you need to have an engineers approval if you add a certain amount of filler metal)
I'm sure others will give you more feedback, but that should explain it!
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 09-04-2008 05:42
Ritz,
Buttering is when you are trying to join two materials that may not be compatible you deposit a layer of weld on one or both surfaces that then enables a metallurgically compatible weld to be performed.
My memory is a bit hazy but years ago we had to weld some 316 sockets onto a CA6NM (cast stainless) pump body. You couldn't weld 316 directly onto the CA6NM so we buttered the CA6NM with 410 first, stress relieved it and then welded the 316 onto the 410 successfully.
Hope that helps,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By CL Vaidya Date 09-05-2018 11:06
Right Shane.
But why u preferred 410 weld butteing? Why not 309 which is nearby 316 tham 410.?
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 09-05-2018 12:34
The buttering was on the cast material - not the 316.
We needed to add a filler metal to the CA-6NM to make it "weldable" to the 316.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-04-2008 05:30
  In addition to the definitions ctacker gave sometimes it refers to building up a layer of a compatible filler rod so the part can be joined to a different material, or putting a layer on each side so a cheaper filler can be used to fill the majority of the joint.
Parent - By ritz (*) Date 09-04-2008 09:57
To Shane and Dave,

I would like thank both of you for your technical explanations and now I have a clear idea about buttering.

Regards,

Ritz,
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 09-04-2008 17:39
Haven't had to do that in so long, I forgot about that, good answer!
Parent - - By Fredspoppy (**) Date 09-04-2008 12:34
Buttering can also be used for the following:
Metal A is to be welded to Metal B.  Metal A requires PWHT, but properties of Metal B would be seriously affected by PWHT.
Metal A is buttered, with 1/2-3/4" butter layer, and then subjected to PWHT.
Bevel is machined on Metal A butter layer and then Metal B is welded to it and no PWHT is required.

This technique is effective for welding high strength forgings (like F22) to API 5L line pipe (X65, X70, etc.), as an example.  In this case the butter layer is still a low alloy carbon steel, but the consumable to be used is selected so that its properties won't be affected by the PWHT and PWHT will not be required after joining the line pipe, to get acceptable hardness, when required for sour service.
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 09-06-2008 08:03
...likewise buttering can be used when it is desired to lower the preheat on a particular joint, or when it may be impractical to maintain a high preheat on a particular joint. I see this most often on mining equipment. Without buttering, the material may require a 400° preheat.  If the individual pieces are buttered in the shop, the preheat is lowered to that of the buttered layer when the joint is welded in the field.

~thirdeye~
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-07-2008 03:39
When I am preparing my olatha sweet corn, I like to eat it after a proper amount of steaming. I also like a moderate amount of salt and pepper.

That is all.
- - By Thejas Vivek Date 07-20-2018 15:37
Hi there !!

Any suggestions for a good butter layer other than "zinc coating", when joining Steel and Aluminium ??
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-21-2018 03:55
JB Weld and Brown's Gas.
Parent - - By ididntdoit89 (*) Date 08-29-2018 16:36
In a fabrication shop we often refer to buttering as adding weld to a flange or web to make it longer. Say a fitter cuts a beam 1/2'' too short. butter the end of the beam then cut square. Do you know where I can find tolerances as to how much buttering is allowed on carbon steel?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-29-2018 16:59
AWS D1.1:2015 gives some guidance when the root opening is too wide and allows buttering of the root faces until the joint is in compliance, so I would think you could use this same  idea to repair the length. See clause 5.21.4.2...you are allowed twice the thickness of the thinner part or 3/4", whichever is less

If the EOR doesn't like that idea, you could always cut enough off to splice a 12" piece back on to make the length right.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Buttering