Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / downhill capping 8010 3/16
- - By LAYINSOMEPIPE Date 09-05-2008 23:49
HI IVE BEEN HAVING A PROBLEM WITH MY FINAL CAP PASS ON THE VERY BOTTTOM LAST 6 INCHES OF 42 INCH AND 20 INCH PIPE. JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE CAN GIVE ME ANY TIPS ON WHAT KIND OF HEAT OR TECHNIQUES THAT U USE. THANKS.
Parent - By pipeliner 798 (**) Date 09-06-2008 01:38 Edited 09-06-2008 01:41
.well if its a fairly narrow bevel or you stringer'n it, stack it in like running a hot pass but with tighter ripples, and make sure when you step back into your puddle that you whatch the sides and set there long enough to let it feather out on the sides or youll leave undercut but not too long are youll loose control of tour puddle.if its a single stringger cap and your not catching both bevels run it in a oval shape to spread your puddle out. dont know what machine your running but if its a sa 200 id try it at about 65 or 70 on the 200 range, once you see whats going on you can work your heat back up.
if your puddle cappin i run kind of a horseshoe shape but squared off more than rounded at the puddle but its the same principle, you will have to pause on the corners of your puddle for just a sec and let it feather out, this takes a good rythem or youll have a choppy lookin cap

hope this helps, keep trying youll get slicked out
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-07-2008 03:33
your heat is always hot on the bottom. You always have to move faster there.

I always step out and let that puddle fill, then move forward, step out and let fill.

A backward angle on your rod when moving down the pipe is good - to a point

Practice makes perfect. - if you want to do something, it's a passion - RIGHT?
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-07-2008 17:20
Hey, Sourdough. I got a 1977 Miller Big 40 I really want to part ways with. Know anyone who wants it? I hear you like them. Maybe I heard wrong. It runs & welds. A grand & it's gone. Thanks. Steve.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-08-2008 15:28
Just sold 1 and I still have one that's in good shape. I only use them in the yard, they're too darned big to run around with.....
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-08-2008 15:29
Just thought I would mention it. :-) S.W.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-08-2008 15:34
Waiting for the new asphalt to get rolled out on my road. Can't leave for an hour........"dollar waitin on a dime"
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-08-2008 16:12
Yep. Hurry up and WAIT!! :-) S.W.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-10-2008 20:28
Hurry up and wait;

"let's look at it again", "we can't have our guys put it together for your final measurement for an hour", "can't you weld through mud?", "they didn't give you the parts?", "isn't there some parts that will fit off of that Cat loader?". "What cattle guard?", how come you didn't tell me this thing would shock me?, wait a minute, are you serious..........."?
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-10-2008 21:36
'Comon, what happened to "On the job miracles?"

"That should fit, just force it....."

"Well, they're almost the same....."

"Dammit! One miracle at a time!!!!"

"Sure, you don't need to grind that, burn thru the paint."

"That's not dangerous, go ahead & grab it." :-)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / downhill capping 8010 3/16