Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Broken forklift fork
- - By gawelder (**) Date 09-07-2008 23:17
I have a customer that has broken a forklift fork. he has asked me to repair the fork ,it is broken at the 90 degree bend on the fork. I told the customer that I did not want to repair the fork because of liabilty reasons , but the customer still insists he wants me to repair the fork. The customer will sign a release on the liability if I will repair the fork. Can someone tell me the best way to repair the fork? The fork is a 3"x 5"x 36"
                                                                                                 Thanks,
                                                                                                            Gawelder
Parent - - By gshuma (**) Date 09-07-2008 23:30
Those break at the area of most stress, the bend. You can pre and post heat and weld with 7018 or maybe higher but you will never be able to duplicate the grain structure that was origionally there from forging. That fork was obviously overstressed. Those kind of customers will load test it by using it until it fails.
Release or not how are you going to feel when someone gets hurt?
Parent - By Johnyutah (**) Date 09-07-2008 23:42
I agree it won't be the customer that will sue you it will be some guys wife after he gets hurt or a truck driver when something falls. However if you do decide to make the repair I have done this once on my own lift while waiting for a new fork. I did a 400 deg preheat did a full pen with 7018 all the way out then welded some 3/4" gussets on the sides just to be safe I put a lot of faith in myself as a welder as i,m sure you do as well these repairs should be a temporary fix if done at all good luck.
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 09-07-2008 23:57
They can sign anything they want, but in the U.S. you are still liable for your work produced.
Consult your own evil lawyer to be sure, but that's what my blood sucking attorney says (just kidding, he's a great guy, no really, he is) and he understands all that stuff : )

JTMcC.
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 09-07-2008 23:59
junk the fork. you can buy a new one on the internet cheap. DONT weld it. it will break again
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-08-2008 00:12
The local scrapyard here sells them for $75 a set. DO NOT REPAIR IT!!!!!!! NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!:-(

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT REPAIRING IT!! :-(

You would still be held liable if something were to happen, just like was said a little farther down the post by JTMcC.

Don't chance it. It's a reasonably inexpensive part to replace. Your livelihood isn't!!!!

Case in point. In the mid '80's-'90's Owens Corning acquired a company that had produced asbestos building materials. By the time all the lawsuits were over, I believe they had declared bankruptcy, even though they NEVER even made the stuff. The fact they had purchased the company & owned it when the lawsuits were filed made them liable & collectible as well.

Do yourself a favor & DON'T TOUCH IT!!  S.W.
Parent - By rockin d (**) Date 09-08-2008 10:17
cheaper to buy new one Northern tool has them
Parent - By Iron Head 49 (***) Date 09-08-2008 00:25
Liability issues are always a concern for you self-employed individuals. Far as the repair, it can be done. I've done it before; last time was on a 966 loader. Broke right in the heel. I preheated the fork to 300 degrees used 11018, wrapped it in insulation and let cool over night. I watched the loader operators abuse these forks for 3-years, before I left for greener pastures! I was working for wages, and directed to repair the fork!
Parent - - By welder6g (**) Date 09-08-2008 01:12
Never repair anything on a Forklift.Especially the Forks.OSHA will make a MANDATORY visit to the site when someone is killed and you will alos be visited by a bunch of people you never wanted to talk to in the first place.Thats what the 200.00 repair will get you.It will definitely break again.
Parent - - By CK Welding (**) Date 09-08-2008 01:31
Think of it this way,  Is 200.00 worth getting someone hurt or even killed, and you being the blame for it.  even if charges were not pushed you would still know in your heart that you are the blame.  Not to mention your reputation as a skilled laboror, to those who think good welders can fix anything.  People don't understand what welding does to metal.
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 09-08-2008 01:34
amen
Parent - - By gshuma (**) Date 09-08-2008 01:46
"and you will alos be visited by a bunch of people you never wanted to talk to in the first place."
That says it all
good post!!
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-08-2008 13:41
I second that!!

I don't care how good a weldor's skills are. Tire rims, fork lift forks & cylinder tanks are just trouble waiting to happen. Let the hack down the road prove how good of a "welder" he is & let him take the risk.

I'm by far, not the best weldor, but I got enough brains to know when to say NO!!!!!

"Ya wanna dance? Or would rather just suck face?" (Norman Thayer to Ethel Thayer, On Golden Pond)
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-08-2008 13:43
Heck, I bet if the guy's that cheap to risk a repair like that, he sure as the blazes ain't gonna pay the dude $200 to fix it!!!!!! S.W.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-08-2008 14:04
Here's a little food for thought.

This guy that wants this repair made, first of all, is trying to take the "cheap" way out by not replacing the fork altogether. He's banking on the fact that you will: Fix it cheap (Probably for less than $100) & take responsibility for the repair, whether you realize it or not.

It's not like this is a set of $5000 forks.

He would be the type of guy that will swagger into your shop & say..." I heard you're a real good weldor, I need this fixed."

When you patiently & reasonably attempt to explain how this is not an acceptable, or safe repair, he'll respond by saying.."I thought you were THE BEST around here! I guess you're not. What the hell kinda weldor are you?"

That's when you respond by saying: "The kind that does not take unnecessary risks by working for an ungrateful, ignorant moron such as yourself!" Then point to the NO TRESPASSING sign on the door & politely tell him to get the hell of your property.

Those kind of people are the kind that will expect something for nothing & accept nothing less than perfection. If he's too darn cheap to replace a set of junk forks with a $75 set from a salvage yard....He would be the kind of person who would come after you for everything you have if something were to happen, liability waiver or not.

You would only have to learn this lesson the hard way once...Someone like that could ruin your life. NO Fooling! S.W.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 09-08-2008 14:40
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE SERVICE TO ANYONE FOR ANY REASON!!!!

Please refuse service on this one. All the advice against it is "GOLDEN" this is an accident waiting to happen.

jrw159
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-08-2008 14:43
I have a similarly stated sign hanging in my shop as well. Keeps the rif-raf out! S.W.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 09-08-2008 15:27
You are buying trouble if you do this repair. Liability cannot be assigned or assumed. If you make the repair, you are just a liable as the one who asked you to make it, and more as you have been counsel not to do it. Forks are cheap, turn this down. I do not let forks on my job that have ANY welding done to them.
BABRT's
Parent - - By gawelder (**) Date 09-09-2008 01:21
Thanks! guys for putting my head back on my shoulders, this is one job I will be leaving alone. I would rather have a mad customer than a hurt customer, because no matter how well I repair the fork sooner or later he will over stress the fork again and it will break again.
                                          Thanks again!
                                                      Gawelder
Parent - By CK Welding (**) Date 09-10-2008 03:18
Great choice my freind,  Thank you for respecting our opinions!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Broken forklift fork