Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Reference in weld symbol tail
- - By petty4345 (**) Date 09-08-2008 13:58
I have a drawing with a weld symbol that has "CLW" in the tail.
Welding code is AWS D14.1 2005, which I am in the process of ordering, the latest I have right now is '97.
I guessing that this may be "Complete length weld"?
I don't see this in A2.4
Has anyone seen this before?
Thanks in advance.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-08-2008 21:22
It's not a standard abbreviation I am familiar with. It sounds like another designer/detailer that was too lazy to spell it out. Hey, he saved his department 35 seconds and cost your department nothing but headaches. Not that its his problem.

That's why I tracked all the "down time" in the fabrication department when I was the fabrication manager. Every time my welders had to stop and wait for engineering to provide clarification or information, I recorded the time we lost. I handed the engineering director an invoice for the "cost" to my department. The first time it happened he laughed and thought it was a joke, the second time it happened and he saw that it amounted to many thousands of dollars he stopped laughing and things started to change.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By flamin (**) Date 09-09-2008 00:48
I means to lay down a Cool Looking Weld!!

Seriously, I agree with Al, either the engineer was lazy, or didn't know the proper way to convey the information.
Jason
Parent - - By Bob Garner (***) Date 09-12-2008 21:14
Right on Al!  I'm an engineer (on this forum because I design weldments) and sometimes we need that boot in the rear. 

Bob Garner
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-12-2008 22:54
Don't we all!

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Reference in weld symbol tail