Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Threading Ti pipe
- - By TRC (***) Date 09-08-2008 21:19
I'm looking at a Type 2 Titanium pipe job that calls for threading. Is there anything different I should be looking for when threading this material. It's only 1" pipe and only 4 ends need threaded  the rest is welded. I'll be using a Ridgid hand threader. Thanks again- Ted
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-08-2008 21:26
I've never threaded Ti, but it's mighty gummy when you turn it in a lathe. The hotter it gets, the gummier it gets. I would say a good HHS set of dies should do OK. Just keep it well lubricated & go slow. If you can put it in a pipe threading chuck style machine with a built in tool rest, that would be great. A lathe chuck would be nice too, just want to keep your dies real straight & on a rest of some kind to get started.

I take it you're putting pipe threads on it. Figured so using a Rigid threader.

Good luck. Steve.
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 09-08-2008 21:45
Thanks Steve, you are correct about it being gummy and difficult to cut. If I screw up (get it) the threads it will cost me big bucks. Lets see what other post I get- Ted
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 09-08-2008 21:58
I would get some dies for Stainless Steel and go slowly with a good lube.  They do make special dies for SS, I'm not sure about Ti never had to thread any.  If it's a real pain might be worthwhile to outsource it to a machine shop or something.  Probably a pretty minimal cost, I know threading dies aren't cheap. 
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-08-2008 23:37
There's a couple of good machine guys on here. Dave Boyer might have some good info. He knows his stuff. Good luck either way! S.W.
Parent - By flamin (**) Date 09-09-2008 01:11
If you're using a die, just be sure to chamfer the end and get a straight start, otherwise fuhgetaboutit. A thick cutting oil like Heavy Duty Tap Magic, or Castrol Molydee work great for high temp materials. Try not to back off too often, because this is when the cutting edges of the die will chip, and once they chip, you might as well throw them away. As long as the chips are falling out and not loading up, you should be able to just run the die down in the forward progression til you get to depth. It will really help alot too if the pipe is actually round, and not too big for the die. When it comes to cutting threads, especially with taps and dies, a few .001" can make a HUGE difference in the quality of the thread and the life of the tool.

Jason
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-09-2008 03:30
    I only ever machined 1 chunk of it. Absolutely be sure the die is perfectly sharp, this stuff work hardens like mad.

A tool & die shop I worked in did some work for West Company, who made pharmacutical products. They wanted a part made from titanium, and sent a chunk to play with so Our shop could estimate it. One of the foremen tried cutting it on the bandsaw, didn't get 1/8" deep before the blade was shot. He did manage to drill a hole in it, but broke the tap off trying to tap it. I later milled the block the part was to be made from so it could be held in the EDM machine, I used a brand new end mill, and it cut OK.
Parent - - By flamin (**) Date 09-09-2008 13:55
The trick (IMO) to machining titanium is to use the proper feeds and speeds. Here in our shop we machine titanium everyday, castings and solid stock. We have experimented with many different tools and oils etc. For drilling, I have found that cobalt drills work better than solid carbide, because they don't chip, unless you go to an inserted indexable drill, preferably with thru spindle coolant. For milling, carbide is definitely the way to go. I run cobalt drills at 40 surface feet at .001-.002 feed per revolution, and carbide endmills at 125 SF at about .001-.002 feed per tooth. I have found that at these surface speeds, you can run all day long with minimal problems, once you try bumping up the speeds even a little, you will most likely spend all day changing out tooling. As for threading, single point threading is the ideal way for cutting threads, but tapping and dies are going to be challenging and a pain pretty much regardless of what you use. A good quality tap (IE, Emuge taps) work real wel, but are priceyl, and Greenfield dies are good quality too.

Jason
Parent - By TRC (***) Date 09-10-2008 22:24
I told my customer to have all the work done by a machine shop, except for the welding. Thanks for your help it's really nice to have so many EDUCATED  opinions to help when your a one man band and trying to cover everything from pipeline /LNG to military work. Thank my brothers ( and sisters)- Ted
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Threading Ti pipe