Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / MAG welding
- - By doyenofcastle (**) Date 09-09-2008 10:10
I'm new welding engineer and I working in a fabricating company almost our work is done by SMAW , recently a client's product recommended to use MAG machine the problem is we don't have digital machine so we adjust the machine by trial also we don't have experienced welders for this any way we adjust  the machine for flat and horizontal but the problem come when we try to weld vertical uphill  I try to adjust but no way the welding is too much overlap and high convexity then the welder try to weld vertical down hill the welding appearance is very good but shallow penetration and also this not allow by D1.1 .I download the cataloge of the machine (miller 383)but it not give information enough .any one can help me to a djust the machine.I have some pictures any one want to help I can send him this pictures
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 09-09-2008 13:14
The filler metal supplier can provide you the appropriate parameters, most on line. You should also invest in an amp/volt meter. Perhaps you should invest in a consultant to get your shop in compliance with what is required.
Parent - By ravi theCobra (**) Date 09-09-2008 19:04
Your  best  bet  is  to   thouroughly   read   Ed  Craig's  welding site  -
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-09-2008 23:26
If your SMAW work was on material thicker than 3/16 inch than GMAW may not be a good choice for vertical up welds.

But do not dispair.... That same GMAW power source can do amazing things with gas shielded FCAW wire!

You really would benefit from the above advice to hire a consultant who really understands welding processes to get your program started and to get you well educated on the various processes that are available and where each one is best and $$$most profitably$$$ applied....  The money invested in consultants will be returned thousands of times in the first year if you are manufacturing even a medium quantity of product.  Be humble, take the advice from a reputable consultant and you will be a very happy man.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / MAG welding