Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / welding position
- - By doyenofcastle (**) Date 09-09-2008 10:27
when we weld I beam with plate in the flat position I mean the I beam is perpendicular to the plate we consider this fillet weld all around (no groove) but when we weld this in the horizontal position and the arrow all around fillet we found that some welding will be vertical some overhead and some flat and horizontal in this case what we should choose for WPS I mean we have combination of welding position in one joint ?is there any prequalified WPS for this case?can I consider this as tubular with plate?
Parent - - By Noel Tan (**) Date 09-10-2008 01:53
doyen,

when we position I beam vertically and plate horizontally we considered this is in 2F/2G position which is horizontal but not flat.
if you talk about to weld fillet weld in all position, i suggest you to find out a pipe to pipe (any thickness and diameter) WPS welded in 6G position.

Regards,
Noel
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-10-2008 10:58
If the beam is horizontal, as in setting on horses, and the plate is vertical to the floor, you are correct. You will be welding in the overhead, vertical, and horizontal. There would be no flat position involved unless there was a groove weld, but you already stated all the welds are fillets.

The I-beam or wide flange beam is considered a rolled shape and it would not be considered to be a tubular. Tubulars are hollow sections such as a column made from pipe or a rectangular or square hollow tube section.

You would need a WPS that lists it is applicable to all positions. It is possible to have a prequalified WPS for welding fillets or grooves in all positions.

The welder can be qualified for all position fillet welding by passing fillet break tests in the vertical and overhead positions if this is a D1.1 structural application. Alternate tests would include grooved plate tests in the vertical (3G) and overhead positions (4G) or pipe tests in the vertical (2G) and horizontal (5G) positions or a single test on pipe in the inclined position (6G). I would have to believe the fillet tests would involve the least amount of time and with least cost when compared to the various grooved plate tests I've listed.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By doyenofcastle (**) Date 09-10-2008 17:55
thanks
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / welding position